The Council ForumTizzy Talk

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Tizzy  
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 26, 2014 9:42:30 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 44 post(s)
Hi,

During the summer, the Abyss gets even hotter than usual. We demons therefore, like everyone else, like to go on vacation.

Unfortunately, to leave the Abyss we need to be summoned!

So, if you know someone: friend, family, colleague who is going on vacation, or just wants a great break, ask them to summon some demons to take with them!

In order to make this easy, next week the Kindle version of Volume I of Demons of Astlan: Into the Abyss will be on sale at Amazon.com.

Yes, we will be doing our first Kindle Countdown Sale on the book!

So if you know someone who might enjoy the e-book spread the word!

The sale will last the week and will start on Monday June 30th 2014 at it's lowest price ever (unless you bought the Dead Tree Edition) it will then increase by $1 every so many hours. There will be a clock telling you how long you have until the price goes up. (It does not come back down...only goes up).

So grab it when you see it! Or rather have your friends grab it since you've probably already seen it.

The sale is only at the US based Amazon.com (currently countdown deals only happen in the US and UK stores). However, anyone can buy from the Amazon.com store, even if they have a local Amazon.<something> store, you just have to force your browser to the .COM site.

Usernames and passwords work across Amazons (or do between US/UK).

Also there will be a sale in the UK store corresponding to summer school break in the UK later in the month. (however there are fewer break points given the relative price/VAT etc.)

Tizzy

Edited by user Thursday, June 26, 2014 9:43:46 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Korwin  
#2 Posted : Monday, June 30, 2014 7:28:58 AM(UTC)
Korwin

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Tizzy Go to Quoted Post

The sale is only at the US based Amazon.com (currently countdown deals only happen in the US and UK stores). However, anyone can buy from the Amazon.com store, even if they have a local Amazon.<something> store, you just have to force your browser to the .COM site.

Nitpick, I am able to force my browser to amazon.com.
But since my kindle is registered on amazon.de, I'm not allowed to order from .com.

Quote:
Kindle titles are available for DE customers on Amazon.de.
Offline The Author Guy  
#3 Posted : Monday, June 30, 2014 6:18:16 PM(UTC)
The Author Guy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 109 time(s) in 86 post(s)
Hmm...

Have you tried buying in a PC/Mac browser from the .COM store and then once it's in your library sync?

I know I can buy stuff and have it shipped to me from other Amazon's, including region encoded DVD's but who know what wackiness they may impose on kindles to comply with "Big Publisher's Distribution rights" I've authorized the book for every region...

At one point I read in Amazon's Royalty Rules, if someone outside the US buys an e-book from the US Kindle store, I get a 35% royalty vs 70% royalty.
I have seen these 35% books come through from .COM

I had thought, from what I read at the time that included buying books at .COM when your country has its own store. But not sure. I.e. I know non-US customers have bought the book in the .COM store...but not sure whether their country had its own Amazon.

Of course, depending on the country there could be other issues, like VAT and maybe they can't reverse that, or got in trouble for...???

This stuff is so scattershot...rules and regulations change quickly for e-stuff.

The thing is, in general there is no region encoding on Kindle book files. So if one gets the file, you can sync it to the kindle with third party tools from wherever.

Thanks for the update...I have no easy way to test at the moment, but I'm going to look into it.

Offline Korwin  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, July 1, 2014 5:40:08 AM(UTC)
Korwin

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Originally Posted by: jerry Go to Quoted Post
Hmm...

Have you tried buying in a PC/Mac browser from the .COM store and then once it's in your library sync?

I need to be logged in, to buy anything. The Account is linked with an Kindle (well 3), the Kindle's are linked to a region.

Quote:
I know I can buy stuff and have it shipped to me from other Amazon's, including region encoded DVD's but who know what wackiness they may impose on kindles to comply with "Big Publisher's Distribution rights" I've authorized the book for every region...

I bought books from Amazon.com, my first Kindle (before they where available in Germany/Austria) and with an American Adresse (google maps) an downloadable game.
Before Kindle's where available in Europe I could buy ebooks from amazon.com, but once I linked it to the german store... it was over.

Quote:
The thing is, in general there is no region encoding on Kindle book files. So if one gets the file, you can sync it to the kindle with third party tools from wherever.

Oh, the file can be drag and dropped into the kindle, its buying from amazon.com in the first place thats the problem.

I suppose I could (in theory) try to unlink my kindle from the german store and back to the .com one.

Offline Tizzy  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, July 1, 2014 8:27:36 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

I would doubt that would be particularly useful...

It just seems very old school annoying of Amazon. This whole regionalization in a global market makes little sense.

Yes, I get tax collection problems, but that would be for small guys...if Amazon is already planning to drop books on people from the sky using drones...I think they can figure out how to collect and distribute taxes in a global manner.
Offline Korwin  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, August 12, 2014 8:51:42 AM(UTC)
Korwin

Originally Posted by: Tizzy Go to Quoted Post
I would doubt that would be particularly useful...

It just seems very old school annoying of Amazon. This whole regionalization in a global market makes little sense.

Yes, I get tax collection problems, but that would be for small guys...if Amazon is already planning to drop books on people from the sky using drones...I think they can figure out how to collect and distribute taxes in a global manner.

Thanks to Kindle Unlimited I migrated my Kindle to the US. Drool
Offline The Author Guy  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, August 12, 2014 8:46:43 PM(UTC)
The Author Guy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Sweet!

Yeah, it's interesting, as soon as KU started, my KOL/KU counts jumped up quite a bit. They are reported as the same, and I'm getting a really good number of KU downloads. Comparable to traditional sales.

It's a great deal for heavy readers.
Offline Maou  
#8 Posted : Saturday, August 16, 2014 6:05:52 AM(UTC)
Maou

Groups: Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

By the way are their any works that inspired you that could be of moderate interest to readers within these forums.
Offline Tizzy  
#9 Posted : Monday, August 18, 2014 10:03:05 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Dante's Inferno for me.

I don't read many books as they tend to burst into flame in the Abyss.

Offline The Author Guy  
#10 Posted : Monday, August 18, 2014 10:14:26 PM(UTC)
The Author Guy

I think he was talking to me Tizzy.

Aside from the usuals, meaning currently popular, one series I mentioned in my long discussion with Rosver are Lindon Hardy's books that start with Master of Five Magics.

In particular, it was a huge inspiration for practical wizardry as a profession and the classification of magic disciplines.

Of course, Zelazny's Amber series is amazing from a planar perspective.

Paul Edwin Zimmer's Dark Border series had to have been the inspiration for George Martin and his Song of Ice and Fire. It really was inspirational for characters having complex plots. PEZ, btw was the brother of Marion Zimmer Bradley. (DarkOver is a great place to see something like animages)

For god battles there is the Eternal Champion by Michael Moorecock (Elric of Melnibone is the best series)

For complex evil you can't beat Glenn Cook's The Black Company about a group of mercenaries in the employ of a really nasty Evil. I.e. tales from the Forces of Evil.

And for out and out crazy, although not directly inspiring to this book: There is Jack Chalker, particularly the Soul Rider and Well of Souls series.