The Council ForumTizzy Talk

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
7 Pages«<4567>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Dirk Flamberge  
#101 Posted : Saturday, June 3, 2017 8:29:55 PM(UTC)
Dirk Flamberge

Groups: ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Badumtish. Yeah i guess, the only true Litrpg i really like is The Land. unless I'm forgetting some which i probably am.
Offline GameGraphix  
#102 Posted : Saturday, November 4, 2017 12:12:53 AM(UTC)
GameGraphix

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 23 post(s)
For those of you who like Olan Thorensen's Destiny's Crucible series....just received this email from the author:

Quote:
“Forged in Fire,” book 4 of “Destiny’s Crucible” had been uploaded to Amazon and should be available as an ebook in the next few days (Amazon says 2-3 days, but I’ve seen it 1-4 days). It has also been delivered to the audio company (Podium) who will begin production and likely release around the end of the year. Paperback version to follow as soon as I get to it.

The book is long, and therefore production cost were higher. I’m starting it at 3.99 so you on the mail list can order at the same price as the previous book, then I’ll raise the price in a week.
Offline Rakshasa  
#103 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2018 9:58:26 PM(UTC)
Rakshasa

Originally Posted by: EyeDeKay Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Dirk Flamberge Go to Quoted Post
I kind of lost interest while reading Name of the wind, and for tolkien the movies were enough for me.

Why'd you lose interest?

Books are much better. Movie leave out a lot like always. *shudders* Except the eagles.

Pff, in the case of the LotR series that things were left out of the movies was actually a good thing. Seriously, I have no idea why Tolkien gets so much acclaim. His books were long-winded, excessive, and boring. I am a voracious reader, and rarely do I stop reading books that are even halfway decent (for instance, I actually read every book in the Wheel of Time series once despite how bad they got between 6-10). But I never was able to get past the what 30 pages whining about misplacing the Ent-wives from Treebeard.... seriously I get it, you lost them. It didn't need to be that drawn out.

Edited by user Monday, March 5, 2018 9:59:48 PM(UTC)  | Reason: updated to clarify how excessively I read books.

Offline Dirk Flamberge  
#104 Posted : Tuesday, March 6, 2018 1:13:36 AM(UTC)
Dirk Flamberge

Originally Posted by: Rakshasa Go to Quoted Post
I kind of lost interest while reading Name of the wind, and for tolkien the movies were enough for me.

Why'd you lose interest?

Books are much better. Movie leave out a lot like always. *shudders* Except the eagles.

Pff, in the case of the LotR series that things were left out of the movies was actually a good thing. Seriously, I have no idea why Tolkien gets so much acclaim. His books were long-winded, excessive, and boring. I am a voracious reader, and rarely do I stop reading books that are even halfway decent (for instance, I actually read every book in the Wheel of Time series once despite how bad they got between 6-10). But I never was able to get past the what 30 pages whining about misplacing the Ent-wives from Treebeard.... seriously I get it, you lost them. It didn't need to be that drawn out.

Not sure how you managed to get yourself to read through the totality of WoT, i think i only made it to 3 or 4 and had to give up because of all the whining and the useless male characters.
Offline Rakshasa  
#105 Posted : Tuesday, March 6, 2018 3:12:51 AM(UTC)
Rakshasa

Why'd you lose interest?

Not sure how you managed to get yourself to read through the totality of WoT, i think i only made it to 3 or 4 and had to give up because of all the whining and the useless male characters.

Yeah, that's sort of my point. I got attached enough to Rand and some of the other characters that I was willing to suffer through them. The ones that Brandon Sanderson finished were totally awesome... so they were easy. But even considering that, I still couldn't stomach to finish "The Two Towers". Tolkien, in my opinion, gets way to much credit. He wasn't particularly original, as he just stole the mythological world of the Norse and made a few changes (primarily the elves). Admittedly, that's not much different than most authors... but the part that annoys me is that his story wasn't well told.

And as for WoT male heroes being whiny... how many 16-18 year old boys do you know that wouldn't whine in the situation that Rand, Matt, and Perrin found themselves in? Yes, it got annoying. But it's somewhat expected when you are dealing with adolescents. Truthfully, that's one of my bigger gripes with a lot of modern fantasy stories where they have "children" as the primary heroes. They are always so completely mature and have no obvious need to whine and gripe about their bad luck. Which is part of why I like Tom... because while he does whine sometimes and clearly needs to mature he doesn't whine ALL the time.
Offline Dirk Flamberge  
#106 Posted : Tuesday, March 6, 2018 5:06:03 AM(UTC)
Dirk Flamberge

There's childish whining and then there's WoT whining, and it's not just that it's the overall emasculation of all the male characters and how all the female characters are scheming psychopaths, and how no matter what is done feels absolutely pointless, how it felt like the main characters were essentially Railroaded along with 0 character growth.
Offline Dungeon Roomba  
#107 Posted : Thursday, March 8, 2018 12:41:50 AM(UTC)
Dungeon Roomba

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
...and then there's Twilight whining, which is at a different level.
Gelatinous Cube
(aka Dungeon Roomba)

"Because there's always a 10x10-foot room for Jell-O"
Offline Dirk Flamberge  
#108 Posted : Thursday, March 8, 2018 4:20:19 AM(UTC)
Dirk Flamberge

Indeed.
Offline Rakshasa  
#109 Posted : Saturday, March 10, 2018 7:06:06 AM(UTC)
Rakshasa

There's childish whining and then there's WoT whining, and it's not just that it's the overall emasculation of all the male characters and how all the female characters are scheming psychopaths, and how no matter what is done feels absolutely pointless, how it felt like the main characters were essentially Railroaded along with 0 character growth.

Fair enough. Although, all things being equal the emasculation of men in the novels and the resultant problems that it created in the books (and yes, the author did note it once or twice)... to me somewhat spoke to the reality in the United States where feminism has been emasculating men (among other things) for the last 50 years and the result was how it (Feminism) destroyed the idea of the American family. But that's me.

For the record, I don't think the family needs a man to be the "breadwinner" I would quite happily get married let her do all the "work" by having a job. Working sucks. But I do think that children need fathers and mothers to properly learn how to interact with the world. Strong male (or female) role models could be used in lieu of having opposite sex parents... but most single parent families don't have that either.
Offline Tizzy  
#110 Posted : Saturday, March 10, 2018 3:06:16 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 44 post(s)
Hmm,

I don't know. I had no mother or father, I had to be my own role-model. I'm a self-made demon!

And of course, I turned out about as close to perfectly well adjusted as anyone could ever be.

Now, that being said, would it have been nice to have a nice strong parent or two to literally "whip" me in to shape, preferably with a cat-o-nine-tails? Yes, that would have been fun. But not worth whining about.

I hate these whiny "oh my parents died in a horrible accident whent I was a baby and I was raised by heartless nuns, or that nice man Fagin" people.

Life sucks, you die, you go to the Abyss, you meet me, and have great adventures for thousands of years! Oh...and cookies...never forget the cookies...dip them in a bit of Denubian Choco-Coffee(TM) and it's like being in heaven--well no not at all--heavens tend ot have gods and those fogies are all serious buzz kills...

You want something to whine about...try being stuck on a cloud with a god for a few thousand years listening to harp music. Eesh....
Offline WRDNg  
#111 Posted : Tuesday, March 20, 2018 10:52:21 PM(UTC)
WRDNg

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Haven't seen it mentioned so far but I highly recommend the Spellmonger series by Terry Mancour.

10 books so far and any author who creates his own method of cursing based upon the goddesses assets he himself writes about gets some of my money.

Highly quotable

Offline Tizzy  
#112 Posted : Wednesday, March 21, 2018 12:37:10 AM(UTC)
Tizzy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Offline Saric  
#113 Posted : Saturday, June 30, 2018 5:54:58 AM(UTC)
Saric

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Offline Dungeon Roomba  
#114 Posted : Monday, July 2, 2018 12:40:45 AM(UTC)
Dungeon Roomba

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

I love NPCs and Fred the Vampire Accountant by Drew Hayes.

I think I've mentioned the Authors & Dragons Podcast he DMs as well. Funny as hell.
Gelatinous Cube
(aka Dungeon Roomba)

"Because there's always a 10x10-foot room for Jell-O"
Offline EyeDeKay  
#115 Posted : Wednesday, July 11, 2018 11:16:39 AM(UTC)
EyeDeKay

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Worth the candle

Mother of learning

Also basically anything by drew hayes is great, like forging haespstus and super powereds.
Offline Dirk Flamberge  
#116 Posted : Sunday, July 15, 2018 3:21:21 PM(UTC)
Dirk Flamberge

EyeDeKay Are there any other books like worth the candle you know of?
Offline Mikey  
#117 Posted : Sunday, July 15, 2018 4:30:42 PM(UTC)
Mikey

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 30 post(s)

Fair enough. Although, all things being equal the emasculation of men in the novels and the resultant problems that it created in the books (and yes, the author did note it once or twice)...

I bought a bunch of novels for the summer holidays, and I have to say that three books in a row not-so-subtly concentrating on extolling the virtues of Grrrl Power left an aftertaste of crude propaganda as strong as the North Korean TV variety.

Can't we have equality, do men really have to be stupid, spineless, cowardly, and willing targets of ridicule in Science Fiction and Fantasy literature from now on? So many authors have turned on the faucet, that I suppose this is what American TV storytelling became at some point of the writers' youth or childhood.

And if you want to write propaganda, can't you at least not insult my intelligence and perception, do you have to be so crude and unsophisticated about it?

Edited by user Sunday, July 15, 2018 4:32:15 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Tizzy  
#118 Posted : Sunday, July 15, 2018 7:49:48 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Originally Posted by: Mikey Go to Quoted Post

And if you want to write propaganda, can't you at least not insult my intelligence and perception, do you have to be so crude and unsophisticated about it?

If one feels compelled to write/distribute/regurgitate blatant propaganda, does that not mean, by the very act of doing so, that said individual is unable to espouse an elegant, sophisticated and intelligent argument for their position?

Now of course, by definition, said argument, would still technically be a form of propaganda, but we wouldn't call it that, rather it would be called "a reasoned logical argument." Which sounds MUCH better than "propaganda."

Now admittedly, neither the first nor the second works with wizards, so for most demons, such discussion is moot.

Edited by user Sunday, July 15, 2018 7:50:47 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline GameGraphix  
#119 Posted : Sunday, February 3, 2019 7:23:32 AM(UTC)
GameGraphix

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 23 post(s)
Some books that you might find interesting.....

The Iron Teeth Series by Scott Straughan.....first book is A Goblin's Tale

Starting to find more and more books where the MC is 'evil' or from some type of 'evil' race.

The MC for these books is a goblin, with a golblin's view of the world & attitude.
Offline Zeravar  
#120 Posted : Sunday, February 3, 2019 1:56:54 PM(UTC)
Zeravar

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Found myself reading a bunch of Nathan Valerio's books on Kindle. Some grammar errors here and there, but overall enjoyable and quite unique