The Council ForumTizzy Talk

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
4 Pages123>»
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Maou  
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 8, 2014 4:22:18 AM(UTC)
Maou

Groups: Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

So I noticed some familiar names in the timeline and am wondering if anybody has thought of how far reaching the influence of demons is on Astlan. Also since some of these demons seem to be able to go back and forth between the plane of man and the abyss at will do you think that they might have at one time opened a minuscule rift between world and then used this as a focus, or some other method since I really don't think many wizards would summon a demon on a regular basis to control large tracts of human lands.
Really any thoughts hear would be nice.
Offline Tizzy  
#2 Posted : Thursday, May 8, 2014 4:28:43 AM(UTC)
Tizzy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 44 post(s)
Yes, curious on those names...hmmm.

As far as going back and forth between worlds and such things as that...well there are some "people" in book II doing some more of this in weird and bizarre ways...

Suffice the say that the boundaries are slightly more porous than most wizards believe...
Offline Korwin  
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 8, 2014 5:38:46 AM(UTC)
Korwin

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 10 post(s)
End of the Year is the ETA for book 2, right?

btw. do you know about the existence of Advanced Reader Copies ;-)
http://www.baenebooks.co...vance-reader-copies.aspx
Quote:
An eARC is an electronic Advance Reader Copy. This is an unproofed manuscript and is guaranteed to be full of typos and error. It is pretty much raw from the authors word processor. But you get the entire eARC well in advance of even the Monthly Baen Bundle release.
Offline The Author Guy  
#4 Posted : Friday, May 9, 2014 1:18:31 AM(UTC)
The Author Guy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 109 time(s) in 86 post(s)
That's my goal. There are a number of factors that aren't particularly tied to the writing of the story.

Issues like editing/consistency (the longer the arc goes on, the more consistency editing there is) and where to put the next break point.

The break point is a function of both the story (where does it make sense) and ebook economics. Many people prefer shorter/cheaper/faster books to the classic "tome" The question is, does it work for the story? That was a huge issue for book 1, how/where to break the story.

Yes, I know it's very cliff hangeresque...but at least where it breaks, it presents a "breather," a punctuation point. This is snowball type story, it's very hard to put a "break" or a "brake" on a fast moving snowball.

The other factor is how much time does promoting the current book take and what does my "day job" look like timewise.

I think the ARC and beta reader ideas are actually pretty good ideas. That can help a lot. Objective readers who haven't lost sight of the story due to all the letters on the page. At some point in the editing process, my mind went numb.

So I think I will definitely due something along that line.
Offline Korwin  
#5 Posted : Monday, May 12, 2014 7:15:27 AM(UTC)
Korwin

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Originally Posted by: jerry Go to Quoted Post

I think the ARC and beta reader ideas are actually pretty good ideas. That can help a lot. Objective readers who haven't lost sight of the story due to all the letters on the page. At some point in the editing process, my mind went numb.

For the record, I'm voluntering. Drool
Not an native speaker, so anything I would find would be obvious* or an case of conflicting information.

*for someone who did not write it. Miss my own typos constantly...

Offline Maou  
#6 Posted : Monday, May 12, 2014 3:23:02 PM(UTC)
Maou

If this is for volunteers I would like to proof it. TIzzy has my soul per contract so a little work won't hurt all that much. It'll be fun.

Edited by user Monday, May 12, 2014 3:31:30 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Tizzy  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, May 13, 2014 12:56:46 AM(UTC)
Tizzy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

As it gets closer I'll create a sign up list.

This topic can serve as "proof of first come first serve"

Offline TheOtherGuy  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, May 13, 2014 1:11:01 AM(UTC)
TheOtherGuy

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Sign me up as well.
Offline Arean  
#9 Posted : Thursday, May 15, 2014 5:37:15 AM(UTC)
Arean

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Ill give you my soul and more to put me on that list...but not my weed ITS MINE !
Offline eugene2k  
#10 Posted : Thursday, May 15, 2014 3:31:03 PM(UTC)
eugene2k

Eh... I'm sort of 50/50... On the one hand I'll gladly pay for a well edited ebook that doesn't have inconsistencies, typos or mistakes in it, but on the other hand how can I be sure that it doesn't for certain? Oh well... Sign me up for the beta test if you need any testing. I'll do it for the credits anywhere in the book :)
Offline Tizzy  
#11 Posted : Friday, May 16, 2014 2:07:49 AM(UTC)
Tizzy

OK So Arean is self-demonizing it sounds like. Applause

Taking the soul...should just hurt for a few minutes, after that...you'll feel nothing...think Dexter (Dreaming Darkly) [or Showtime series]

Beta readers who send in comments and suggestions get credits and of course a free copy of the "beta" book. (you'll have to pay with a relative's soul for a final finished copy)

Offline Maou  
#12 Posted : Friday, May 16, 2014 5:21:40 AM(UTC)
Maou

Does it have to be a close relation? Most of my relatives live some ways away from me and I find that personally it would be easier to sacrifice random strangers. Not for moral reason's mind you, but you only have so many relatives and it takes months to make a new one once you run out. Strangers can be found in abundance and it is much easier to hide a connection between you and your victim if they are chosen purely by chance, Anxious not that i have experience with this sort of thing.
Offline Korwin  
#13 Posted : Friday, May 16, 2014 5:31:48 AM(UTC)
Korwin

Well what Lvl. are talking?
My soul is not that cheap :D
Offline Tizzy  
#14 Posted : Saturday, May 17, 2014 3:19:08 AM(UTC)
Tizzy

Well fortunately, your soul is already taken thanks to the authors payment to me of the souls of the first 100 people to sign up on this site. I've got the mailing list and am working a Runic Email to capture your souls.

Now as far as relatives. Quality control. You see, that's the thing. A demon's gotta have standards and all.

If you just give me random "stranger" souls, I might end up with a Kardashian, or worse...like David Hasselhoff or something...So that's why I'm thinking a relative, someone with good genetic potential, since obviously they are related to someone sophisticated enough to read Into The Abyss and know the importance of signing up on the website.

Offline Arean  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, May 20, 2014 12:52:21 AM(UTC)
Arean

This seams very reasonable, but I really don't see how David Hasselhoff is worse then a Kardashian. I mean really? Also do friends work instead of family? I could always get more friends but replacing my family would take a while, not that I really mind. Whatever works better for you.
Offline Tizzy  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, May 20, 2014 1:13:24 AM(UTC)
Tizzy

Well, first, have you heard Hasselhoff sing? He is (was) a huge singing sensation in Europe...the land of Eurovision...

Plus he'll bring his talking car and Pamela Anderson...who was a pre-Kardashian, pre-Paris Hilton celebrity. Have you seen VIP?????

Are your friends talented and wise?

Although if they are friends with someone who wants to sell their souls...then they probably aren't very wise...so I guess you don't have to answer that.

A good friend will work. Significant Others also work. Although, since you might end up spending all eternity in the Abyss together, you will want to make sure that they are really "Signficant."
Offline Korwin  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, May 20, 2014 11:48:47 AM(UTC)
Korwin

Originally Posted by: Tizzy Go to Quoted Post

Although if they are friends with someone who wants to sell their souls...then they probably aren't very wise...so I guess you don't have to answer that.

Well, on Earth we don't have Mana and True Names, that would indicate we don't have Gods in the Astlan sense.
Is this correct?

So we cant have After-Live-Deals/insurance like the Astlans humans can have.
Without such an After-Live-Deal your Animus (=soul?) disperse after dead. Correct?

So for an continued existence the 'Abbys-Deal' is an option...
...the important thing in the 'Abbys-Deal' seems to be, you dont want to start at the bottom.

Offline Tizzy  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, May 21, 2014 3:19:37 AM(UTC)
Tizzy

Well, just because you don't know your true name doesn't mean you don't have one.

Earth has VERY low mana levels. Almost as if some greedy deity created a huge church and went around sucking up all the mana on the planet so magic wouldn't work any more.

Well, I'm pretty sure there a few quasi-monopolistic deities running around with insurance plans. Including one that offers 3 completely different plans!
I do know of some that offer reincarnation...that's also popular in Astlan.

But yes, in Astlan if you don't have an agreement with a deity, you are pretty much on your own. Of course, if you are a high level necromancer you just turn yourself in to a Lich, and the rest of your family into revenants or similar.

I also heard stories about wizards that went around trapping the souls of people in swords and other magic items. Hence--Intelligent Swords....

Never seen one myself though.

I know I wouldn't like it if my pipe kept talking to me...
Offline Korwin  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, May 21, 2014 6:56:55 AM(UTC)
Korwin

Originally Posted by: Tizzy Go to Quoted Post

I know I wouldn't like it if my pipe kept talking to me...

No, you wouldn't like it, if your pipe would know all your secrets Think
Offline Tizzy  
#20 Posted : Thursday, May 22, 2014 12:08:36 AM(UTC)
Tizzy

Well thankfully, I don't have any.

At least I don't think I do? Hmm, do I have secrets? Have I told myself?

I can't think of any secrets I have. Am I keeping them a secret from me even?

Hmmmm......