The Council ForumTizzy Talk

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Tizzy  
#1 Posted : Monday, May 23, 2016 4:49:01 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 44 post(s)
Hi

After the last move of the website to a new hosting environment, the site is behind a more traditional firewall than it had at Azure and only Window FW before that.

Unfortunately, use of "http://www.astlan.net/something/something.png inside the forum avatars is being interpreted as a DNS binding redirection which is causing the broken avatars. Not really sure why compared to other urls with that address format but it is...

What does work, however, is gravatar (now owned by WordPress)

What you need to do to make your gravatar show up as your avatar is the following.

While logged in here,
  • Click on your username in the menu bar; scroll down and click on Edit my account.

• Go to your site avatar and use the drop down to select "None specified"

• Click update.

• Go to your email address and make sure it's all lower case. For some reason, Gravatar is case sensitive, or at least the forum is when working with gravatar.
It may take a little bit for the forum to recheck your settings and clear the cached avatar information, but it will eventually.
  • Go to gravatar and sign in with your free gravatar/wordpress username and password. (You can have multiple email addresses under one account)

• Add the email address you are using for this site to your list of email addresses

• Upload your preferred avatar and link it to your email address.

That's all there is to it, you should see that gravatar as your forum avatar. If it doesn't happen right away, wait a bit and check back. You can contact me if it never seems to change.

Tizzy
Offline Puck  
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 9, 2016 5:39:33 AM(UTC)
Puck

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
This still works?
Offline Tizzy  
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 9, 2016 3:33:05 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

It should...however beware that the email address is, for some bizarre reason, case sensitive.

So it took me a couple tries.

Let me take a look at your settings here to make sure your entries i the forum is cleared out.
Offline Tizzy  
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 9, 2016 3:49:27 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

OK,

I went into the Forum user admin and cleared your avatar there and then cleared it in the main website membership. (Image is still there, if you select it from drop down it will come back)

So if you go to gravatar and either create a new account or add your email address for here to your existing account with case sensitivity, it should appear in the forums pretty quickly.
Offline Puck  
#5 Posted : Thursday, June 9, 2016 5:06:01 PM(UTC)
Puck

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Thanks Tizzy! Will do!
Offline Lunarmage  
#6 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2019 3:06:09 AM(UTC)
Lunarmage

Groups: ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

So, I've spend the better part of the last hour trying to get my avatar to work and I can't seem to make it happen. Is there a way that one of the greater Demons can lend me their centuries of experience?
Offline Tizzy  
#7 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2019 3:38:42 AM(UTC)
Tizzy

Sorry about that, there is a post that should be sticky on the avatars...will need to dig it up.

Avatar's used to work normally but when the site was moved behind a new FW the avatars started having weird problems....

What works best is to use a gravatar

Create a free account using whatever your favorite email address is.

Once that's created you can add other email addresses (you have to verify them by clicking on an email link)

Then upload an avatar and attach it to the email address you use for this site.

It should work pretty much immediately.
Offline Tizzy  
#8 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2019 3:39:22 AM(UTC)
Tizzy

Wait, this is that topic!

Hmm....looking
Offline Tizzy  
#9 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2019 3:41:00 AM(UTC)
Tizzy

Did you try gravatar? Or were you using the built in system?
Offline Tizzy  
#10 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2019 3:54:08 AM(UTC)
Tizzy

Puffing on it some more...I also seem to recall that you need to make sure your local avatars are blank/set to nothing.

I would check both the forum and the main account (which are tied, but which have 2 different places to set avatars--there's like (supposed to be) a 3 way cascade, main site, forum, gravatar...the first two need to be blank)

If not for crazy firewall, the other two would kick in.