The Council ForumTizzy Talk

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Dungeon Roomba  
#1 Posted : Sunday, January 1, 2017 5:17:36 AM(UTC)
Dungeon Roomba

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
AoD just synced to my Kindle app! Gonna start reading now!
Gelatinous Cube
(aka Dungeon Roomba)

"Because there's always a 10x10-foot room for Jell-O"
Offline Tizzy  
#2 Posted : Sunday, January 1, 2017 6:07:19 AM(UTC)
Tizzy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 44 post(s)
Tell me how the fonts look in the first chapter.

Had reports of it being too light/too dark background.

I've uploaded a new version to fix this, but it will be a couple hours before it gets propogated.

Offline B Ellis  
#3 Posted : Sunday, January 1, 2017 2:54:26 PM(UTC)
 B Ellis

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

I've just forced an upgrade to the latest version of the file. The version on my tablet is OK, but the Kindle version is almost unreadable.

Can we just stick with black text on a white background please?

I'm in the UK and reading via Kindle Unlimited if that makes a difference.
Offline The Author Guy  
#4 Posted : Sunday, January 1, 2017 4:22:43 PM(UTC)
The Author Guy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 109 time(s) in 86 post(s)
That's what it is!

There is nothing funky about it at all. It's white background, black text, other than for the headings. It's exactly the same as the last two.

I have no idea what is up with the kindle versions. For one thing my kindle refuses to hop on the wifi.

Offline The Author Guy  
#5 Posted : Sunday, January 1, 2017 8:05:34 PM(UTC)
The Author Guy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

So the font is supposed to be black, but for some reason the epub version sends it to gray. I found and option to strip all colors and that seems to work.

Still having various wacky issues to work through but getting there.

Offline Iume  
#6 Posted : Sunday, January 1, 2017 9:16:15 PM(UTC)
Iume

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 41 post(s)
It looks perfectly okay for Kindle on Mac.

However, that pale gray text w/ italics? Appears only for the scene headers like "Murgatroy: Several hours earlier, DOA + 1, Shortly After Lunch"

It is possible Amazon is somehow missing the close tag from the first header and so it is converting the whole book.
Offline Tizzy  
#7 Posted : Sunday, January 1, 2017 11:45:25 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

There are quite a few wacky issues going on.

It really is not liking the DOCX file in any format that Word does, e.g. DOC, RTF even HTML

With DOCX, DOC, RTF the front matter up through prelude repeats and then you can't page to the first chapter, you have to go to index.

So went to EPUB, looked good in software viewers, but T-A-G couldn't get a real one for his KPW until this morning. But got reports. That's where the text color goes grey. However, the POV change stuff, while gray, does not bleed italic, it bleeds color

Did an HTML version, but that had a ToC in front, but not on the menubar to quick skip. But it reads fine.

So back to EPUB, found an option to strip out any color in the fonts. That cleared that up. Found that from a link in Amazon forums from a reader who'd seen it in other books. Apparently the PW has some wacky ideas of how to present text in some cases, trying to make it more readible....NOT.

But now for some reason the "beginning" point from the menu goes to the page before the "Prelude" the second page of Beta Credits. At least in the preview software.

He published that and will look at it to see if that's a software glitch on the viewer.

Waiting on Amazon staff to get back on ticket, but holiday so....
Offline Dirk Flamberge  
#8 Posted : Monday, January 2, 2017 1:44:18 AM(UTC)
Dirk Flamberge

Groups: ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
YES! New years happened, i got back to my computer and BAM the book! started reading immediately, passed out halfway through, and then continued reading once i woke up. I gotta say it was everything i was hoping for, and somehow even more than that! the way everything ties together PERFECTLY is amazing! everything made sense and had me going "I can't believe i didn't realise this!". only issues i had were that i cannot read it on Kindle cloud reader for some reason, and only saw a single Typo m; instead of me in page......like 80% into the book.

Anyways oh my god as a phrase just doesn't do this justice, let's just say i would sell my soul for Book 4 right now.
Offline Tizzy  
#9 Posted : Monday, January 2, 2017 2:38:17 AM(UTC)
Tizzy

I am working on your contract as we speak.
Offline Dungeon Roomba  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, January 3, 2017 2:31:49 AM(UTC)
Dungeon Roomba

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers
United States

Still reading. Haven't finished yet. But since I don't have an actual Kindle, only the app on my Nvidia Shield K1, it's been just fine, other than Page Flip not enabled. Don't know what freaky thing is going on with the Android version of the Kindle App, but sometimes when I gesture-flip to the next page, the thing stops halfway. Hard to read page 234 when you still see half of 233. :P

Not stopping me from reading as fast as I can, though. It's really awesome so far. I'll do a first read, then restart so I can make annotations and notes.
Gelatinous Cube
(aka Dungeon Roomba)

Offline The Author Guy  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, January 3, 2017 3:02:34 AM(UTC)
The Author Guy

Ehhh...

Page flip really only works well on my Kindle PW...and even then it ends up confusing me since its working differently than on my iphone/ipad and memopad. Although I think it did magically start working on ipad, not yet working on memo pad (android) just checked.

I think you have an original version.

Do you see the ToC on the navigation bar? I.e. you can easily flip to the ToC?

That was there on first version, but subsequent ones that fix the fonts has it disappear. It's all part of what is driving me nuts. Amazon staff are all on vacation since they aren't responding withing 24 hours as they are supposed to.

There are just so many wacky issues. A simple word upload doesn't even work and I've gone over the docx with every tool I can find and there is nothing wrong with the file. So I have to do epubs or html, both of which, now end up with indexing problems. However, the first epub, which I think you have, did have an ToC (which is why I am asking you to see if you do---all have ToC at the start, but you can't jump to it by nav bar.

Offline Dirk Flamberge  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, January 3, 2017 9:51:14 AM(UTC)
Dirk Flamberge

Groups: ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Just Thought of something.
Offline Tizzy  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, January 3, 2017 5:51:48 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Speaking in hidden text:

Offline Dungeon Roomba  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, January 4, 2017 3:48:33 AM(UTC)
Dungeon Roomba

United States

And I repeat...SQUEEE!!!

Just finished the first read.

So.

Very.

Awesome.

Going to remove and re-download the book before the 2nd read to see if there's any differences as I mark it up.
Gelatinous Cube
(aka Dungeon Roomba)

Offline Tizzy  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, January 4, 2017 3:53:15 AM(UTC)
Tizzy

That won't help.

To get the new version you have to go to Kindle Support on your account page.

fill out some questions along the lines of other and get to where either they call you or you chat with them.

Tell them that there are quality updates available and that you want them pushed to you.

Once they do that, you then go to Manage Content and should see the Updates Available button which you click.

They are still not responding to T-A-G's emails.

Offline Iume  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, January 4, 2017 5:29:17 AM(UTC)
Iume

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 41 post(s)
Actually, while you are online (not TAG), tell them you have multiple books that need to be updated. Their systems knows which are out of sync on your content vs. their system and they can just push all of the ones for which you are out-of-date.
Offline The Author Guy  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, January 4, 2017 6:41:48 PM(UTC)
The Author Guy

Amazon finally got back to me at 4:45 am CST, "Sorry for the delay"

They are going to investigate the "quality control issue" and updates and decide by Jan 7 whether or not they will push it out to everyone.

I write back. Read the reviews on the book's page. People are giving 1 and 3 stars because the thing is unreadable on a Paper White and you don't know if this is an issue that should be sent out?

On the Kindle Cloud Reader they said they looked at my account settings (sent me some xml stuff) and said it wasn't enabled so wouldn't work. And I'm like "OK, how am I supposed to enable it? It works on the other books?"

And they were mum on the other issues with the DOCX that forced me to do epub.

These guys are annoying. They know they are the only game in town and they just don't care.

Argh. I wish I had enough mana to summon Tizzy and Boggy to go talk to these guys. I'm sure they would get things straightened out ASAP.

Wouldn't send Tom, don't want them to give them heart attacks. Maybe just loosen their bowels a bit.
Offline B Ellis  
#18 Posted : Friday, January 6, 2017 12:00:44 AM(UTC)
 B Ellis

Hello again...

Loved the book and am now on the second download & read through.

I've had a look inside the Kindle file (don't ask how) and can confirm that the font problem on the Paperwhite is due to incorrect formatting in the file not a device issue. The 'font_colour' in the stylesheet is set to #808080 (medium gray) not #000 (black) if that helps track down how the error crept in.
Offline Tizzy  
#19 Posted : Friday, January 6, 2017 1:33:17 AM(UTC)
Tizzy

Yes, this is due to Calibre mistranslating the color of the font when going from Word to epub. I had to "strip color from fonts" in the Calibre settings, and that fixed it for the epub.

With a word or html document it doesn't happen, but those were having other problems.

I finally had an "ah hah, stupid me moment" today.

I'm sure you've read my account of DOCX files not working and the HTML not having a TOC for the navbar. etc.

So today I had the "aha" idea of opening the saved HTML file in Word which is what created it, and deleting the html ToC and saving the document as a new DOCX and recreating the ToC

I uploaded that a couple hours ago and VOILA. It took it with no problems. Fonts are good (at least on the simulator), ToC works as it should, as does Begining and I'm hoping whatever was wacky with KCR will be fixed.

The ONLY weirdness is the bullet points in the Preface. They look fine on phone and tablet, but show up as boxes with question marks on the Paper White. They are just normal word bullet points. But, I said enough, it is just a weird bullet.

So, once this is done propagating, people can ask for the latest version and should have a fully functional copy (I hope, not sure on KCR they won't get back to me)

Thus, my hope is that on Sunday, they will push it out to everyone.

Offline B Ellis  
#20 Posted : Saturday, January 7, 2017 11:33:00 PM(UTC)
 B Ellis

Just had the update pushed to me. Font now black as intended.