The Council ForumTizzy Talk

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Dungeon Roomba  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 4, 2017 8:43:51 PM(UTC)
Dungeon Roomba

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Patience is thin, but holding strong!
Gelatinous Cube
(aka Dungeon Roomba)

"Because there's always a 10x10-foot room for Jell-O"
Offline The Author Guy  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 4, 2017 10:25:25 PM(UTC)
The Author Guy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 109 time(s) in 86 post(s)
Took me a minute to digest the context. Did not realize it was in the OOA forum. So didn't know what you were yaying at first. I use the most recent links to read topics...

Yeah, I've been thinking about it a lot lately, which is distracting, because I need to be focusing on book IV and Into the Wilds but it's really been creeping up on me lately.

On flight to Xmas, I watch "The Last Kingdom" and am now finally getting around to Vikings. Both are excellent stories set 200 years apart about vikings raiding England.

But really the vikings and their society are so very much like the modern orc concept (post Tolkien) that it's freaky. And so got me wanting to focus on Orc stories even more!

Offline Dirk Flamberge  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 5, 2017 12:01:56 AM(UTC)
Dirk Flamberge

Groups: ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
vOrckings?
Offline The Author Guy  
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 5, 2017 12:19:01 AM(UTC)
The Author Guy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Hmm, vOrcings? I love the sound of that, but can you have barbarian orcs? That would imply there are civilized ones.

Of course, Orcopolis is a pretty civilized sort of place, so, there is an example of Urban Orcs, and such.

Offline Dirk Flamberge  
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 5, 2017 12:26:56 AM(UTC)
Dirk Flamberge

True, but Barbarians was usually just used as a term of insult from nobles referring to other cultures' Dress and Languages, plus i wouldn't generally call Vikings barbarians, not to their faces, at least. Seafaring Raiders and traders, piratical heathens, intrepid adventurers? all these terms can Describe Vikings, Barbarian, not usually.
Offline The Author Guy  
#6 Posted : Thursday, January 5, 2017 12:36:29 AM(UTC)
The Author Guy

Yes, true. As you allude, the word barbarian in latin comes from the fact that these guys didn't speak Latin, and their language sounded like the bah bah of sheep in the field, the fact that they dressed like sheep in giant furry coats/mantles didn't help.

I think for me, the "Raider" mentality is more what symbolized the barbarian sort of mentality. I.e. a lack of respect for the overall rule of law.

The vikings had laws within their own society, but cared nothing for laws outside their society. For everyone that was not them, it was all might makes right. If you can't defende it, I am entitled to take it.

Now, that being said, that is not the view of all orcs, nor, I suspect even most. There are probably as many human raiders as there are orc raiders on most worlds. However, that is what the elves have been saying across the multiverse, smearing the orcs.

And in fact, that is where we come back to the language. Orcs have trouble speaking human/elven languages because of their teeth, thus when speaking Trade, they sound like dull witted brutes. Like Bah bahrians...

Offline Dirk Flamberge  
#7 Posted : Thursday, January 5, 2017 12:46:01 AM(UTC)
Dirk Flamberge

I'm certain there are Legendary vOrckings like the legends/tales of Vikings, It's sounds right up their alley, and yea, Elves I agree with you there about the major smear campaign. By the by, Jaquesparrow? really?
Offline The Author Guy  
#8 Posted : Thursday, January 5, 2017 2:05:48 AM(UTC)
The Author Guy

I should think so.

Jaquesparrow? Are you saying the man is not an immortal? He really should be dead by now. In fact, I think he was dead in the first movie, yes?

:)

Now, torn. Do I go continue watching Vikings, or watch Warrcraft? I skipped it in the theaters due to bad reviews and other stuff out at same time. But bought it this week once the price got reasonable. However, i bought it late and night and was thinking it would be too loud for the neighbors upstairs.

Offline Dirk Flamberge  
#9 Posted : Saturday, August 5, 2017 7:49:48 PM(UTC)
Dirk Flamberge

How was your watching? also how goes the tales of the space Orkz?
Offline Tizzy  
#10 Posted : Saturday, August 5, 2017 9:12:44 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 44 post(s)
He watched Warcraft and Vikings in that time. I know this because I steal my cable off of him and unfortunately, I can only intercept what he watches since I have to attach to a video output on his TV due to scrambling.

The sporks are moving along, but he keeps going back and forth across all three books which slows stuff down. Just write one and finish it dang it!

Offline Tizzy  
#11 Posted : Saturday, August 5, 2017 9:14:32 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Oh, he seemed to like Warcraft, I know he loves Vikingx.
Offline George  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, November 29, 2017 9:31:34 AM(UTC)
George

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

I could imagine civilised and barbarian orcs living side by side, after all humans did it for quite a while though barbarian can be used loosely in context of both humans and orcs because there has to be some sort of society therefore culture. Ehhh, I guess. Would love to beta again for all three. Glad to see that at least something's on this planet are not going to shit.
Offline Tizzy  
#13 Posted : Thursday, November 30, 2017 2:22:20 AM(UTC)
Tizzy

Well, on that topic, if you think things on your planet are going to shitesville, imagine a planet like yours being invaded by Orks hurtling through your atmosphere in their dropships launched from their armada?

You really haven't experienced terror until you are on the receiving end of something like that.

Which, interesting, sort of sets up the conundrum in OOA. What does a warrior race that relies on inflicting terror upon their enemies do, when they face a new enemy that refuses to be terrified, and in fact, is pretty damn terrifying themselves.
Offline George  
#14 Posted : Thursday, November 30, 2017 2:42:42 AM(UTC)
George

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Originally Posted by: Tizzy Go to Quoted Post
Well, on that topic, if you think things on your planet are going to shitesville, imagine a planet like yours being invaded by Orks hurtling through your atmosphere in their dropships launched from their armada?

You really haven't experienced terror until you are on the receiving end of something like that.

Which, interesting, sort of sets up the conundrum in OOA. What does a warrior race that relies on inflicting terror upon their enemies do, when they face a new enemy that refuses to be terrified, and in fact, is pretty damn terrifying themselves.

Does an ICBM with a nuclear war head count as terrorising?

Also being India living right next to Pakistan is a great way to feel scared I have nothing against Pakistani people but I have no faith in their government or their army, but I agree drop ships are definitely scarier. I mean bombs in marketplaces vaporise you. Orcs dismember you. Important difference. I would love to see that happen, the confrontation between two races. Crazy.

Offline Tizzy  
#15 Posted : Thursday, November 30, 2017 3:29:45 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Originally Posted by: George Go to Quoted Post

Does an ICBM with a nuclear war head count as terrorising?

Only if a crazy guy wearing a cowboy hat, or a strange orange varmint, on his head is riding it, and heading towards you.

Originally Posted by: George Go to Quoted Post

Also being India living right next to Pakistan is a great way to feel scared I have nothing against Pakistani people but I have no faith in their government or their army, but I agree drop ships are definitely scarier. I mean bombs in marketplaces vaporise you. Orcs dismember you. Important difference. I would love to see that happen, the confrontation between two races. Crazy.

Better to be living in India next to Pakistan, than Afghanistan next to Pakistan, or anywhere in Afghanistan for that matter. Plus, the great thing about living in India is you can always find something hot enough to eat that the gut wrenching agony in your stomach keeps your mind off of your imminent demise.

Actually, you bring up a good point. You get vaporized, it's very quick and relatively painless, (note this does not apply to a C.o.D. those hurt pretty bad) whereas you may live in extreme agony for a few minutes as your limbs are hacked off and your blood pumps out like in those very realistic Monty Python sketches. Tis but a flesh wound.