The Council ForumTizzy Talk

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
4 Pages<1234>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Dungeon Roomba  
#21 Posted : Thursday, February 23, 2017 9:02:28 PM(UTC)
Dungeon Roomba

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Well, I still like the Overlord scenario, just because he's devious, underhanded, and powerful. Doesn't seem to care too much about beings other than HIS people. Though he does have loyalty to his underlings and those he has use for.

Gelatinous Cube
(aka Dungeon Roomba)

"Because there's always a 10x10-foot room for Jell-O"
Offline Tizzy  
#22 Posted : Thursday, February 23, 2017 9:13:47 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 44 post(s)
I'm not complaining, willing to try give it a go.

I do think loyalty to ones underlings is very important. Particularly since I always end up as an underling.

One of these days, I want to be the Dread Dark Lord Tizzy....

Offline Tizzy  
#23 Posted : Thursday, February 23, 2017 9:16:38 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Of course, to be perfectly honest.

Underling, lacky, toadie is not that bad of a job...

If you declare yourself to be a Dark Lord, it's like painting a target on your back for those stupid heroes. Talarius being case in point. They are always coming after you.

As a toady, no one really cares about me, so when things go bad, I can hightail it out of there with my skin intact.

Remember the motto:

Quote:
He who flees and runs away,
Lives to flee another day!

Offline Iume  
#24 Posted : Friday, February 24, 2017 1:56:51 AM(UTC)
Iume

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 41 post(s)
I wonder sometimes at the similarity and differences between litRPG and superhero novels.

Both feature powerful characters who luck into powers that raise them above the common rabble. Often this is power is not earned but given through plot. If a curse it is turned into a strength. They have adventures and the behaviors/attitudes of the characters between the two genres are often alike.

Now, there are some things that are unique to each. I do not see an overlap in the settings and each has its own tropes, such as many LitRPG have a swords and sorcery setting and superhero does not, but I think someone that likes well-written superhero tales will probably enjoy well-written litRPG. Of course there seems to be a lot of poorly written litRPG vs. superhero, but the superhero genre is more mature so I am not surprised.

As such I'd recommended to any LitRPG readers the following superhero tales:
- Confessions of a D-List Supervillain
- In Hero Years I'm Dead
- Please Don't Tell My Parents I'm a Supervillain
- Sensation (Kid Sensation)
- Velveteen Vs.
Offline GameGraphix  
#25 Posted : Friday, February 24, 2017 4:06:14 AM(UTC)
GameGraphix

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 23 post(s)
I've read the Confessions of a D-List Supervaillain and enjoyed all 3 books...but have read any of the others...

another one that I enjoyed in this genre was "No Master Plan Here (Madness Runs in the Family Book 1) by Joel Burdick" - only drawback is that the author has not written any additional books in the series in the last 3 years.
Offline Christopher Cope  
#26 Posted : Friday, February 24, 2017 7:19:14 AM(UTC)
Christopher Cope

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

For a litRPG series that isn't litRPG, I'd check out

Sanctuary series by Robert Crane

It's a fantasy story, but the world setup is like an MMO: classes, guilds, raiding gods planes for loot, etc., there are just never any numerical breakdowns. It's definitely a grimdark story, and once you get past the first book, has some of the most compelling characters I've ever read.

Also, a new dungeonMC book is

Ancient Ruins by Benjamin Medrano

A bit different from the Slime Dungeon type for again there is no leveling or ability gain breakdown, and the dungeon is already several thousand years old when the book starts.
Offline Dungeon Roomba  
#27 Posted : Friday, February 24, 2017 8:46:43 PM(UTC)
Dungeon Roomba

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Yeah, +1 for Ancient Ruins. That was a different take on the "Dungeon as a MC" subgenre.
Gelatinous Cube
(aka Dungeon Roomba)

Offline Tizzy  
#28 Posted : Friday, February 24, 2017 10:06:27 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Wait until you get to read Dungeons of the Abyss! It's where Mount Doom is the major character!

Hah hah, no. Kidding.

Although, to be fair, that AI for Tartarus makes me a bit leery. Not quite sure about her. She's got a bit too much Altrusian influence for me to really trust her.

I'll have to tell T-A-G about Ancient Ruins. He loves stories with ancient characters. It's a nice change from the coming of age staple.

Offline Tizzy  
#29 Posted : Friday, February 24, 2017 10:08:27 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Ancient Ruins now on Kindle Countdown in US (presumably UK too)....by today for $0.99
Offline Christopher Cope  
#30 Posted : Saturday, February 25, 2017 12:06:24 AM(UTC)
Christopher Cope

If the Tarterus AI starts singing "Daisy Bell" it's time to head to the nearest pocket dimension.
Offline Dungeon Roomba  
#31 Posted : Saturday, February 25, 2017 12:29:55 AM(UTC)
Dungeon Roomba

Please return to your point of origin, or the nearest convenient parallel dimension.

I never thought about that. What if the Tartarus AI falls in love with Tom? <jiggle>
Gelatinous Cube
(aka Dungeon Roomba)

Offline Iume  
#32 Posted : Saturday, February 25, 2017 7:39:29 AM(UTC)
Iume

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 41 post(s)
Finished Ancient Ruins. Much better than the usual dungeon stories -- of which there are few good ones. This story didn't get bogged down in game mechanics and instead incorporated the dungeon into the world's setting in a much more natural way. I found that refreshing rather than seeing YET ANOTHER rehash of a game's mechanics with a clumsy exposition.
Offline Christopher Cope  
#33 Posted : Saturday, February 25, 2017 3:22:54 PM(UTC)
Christopher Cope

I thought it funny when I read a 2 star review of one litRPG book that boiled down to "Too much story, not enough game mechanics"
Offline The Author Guy  
#34 Posted : Saturday, February 25, 2017 5:41:32 PM(UTC)
The Author Guy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 109 time(s) in 86 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Christopher Cope Go to Quoted Post
I thought it funny when I read a 2 star review of one litRPG book that boiled down to "Too much story, not enough game mechanics"

So, that person is clearly a GM, who loves reading the manuals to different games...I'm guessing hir idea of enjoyable non-fiction would be spending an evening curled up with the CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics.

As far as Pocket dimensions...something that was cut out of Book II was the Seas of Astlan storyline with three of the brigands who stole "the book" and are currently on Captain Asmeth's ship sailing south along the coast of Oorstemoth.

They have a portable hole outfitted with bunkbeds and their chests, they open it up, climb down in, and have a draw string mechanism to close the hole behind them. It's very safe camping, because from outside, their is just a tiny hole on the ground, very hard to find in the dark.

Of course, given the people inside, anyone finding the hole would be best off to leave it alone.
Offline EyeDeKay  
#35 Posted : Saturday, February 25, 2017 8:53:31 PM(UTC)
EyeDeKay

Originally Posted by: Iume Go to Quoted Post

As such I'd recommended to any LitRPG readers the following superhero tales:
- Confessions of a D-List Supervillain
- In Hero Years I'm Dead
- Please Don't Tell My Parents I'm a Supervillain
- Sensation (Kid Sensation)
- Velveteen Vs.

The plot kinda meanders, but this is a decent Super villian story. Written by the guy who wrote waldo rabbit. https://www.amazon.com/D...mp;keywords=waldo+rabbit
Offline GameGraphix  
#36 Posted : Monday, February 27, 2017 1:57:38 AM(UTC)
GameGraphix

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 23 post(s)
Another +1 for Ancient Ruin - I really enjoyed it - thanks for the tip!

Another book that I just finished was

Growing Pains: The Proving Grounds by Wade Adrian

It seems to be the 3rd book in this world - but they seem to be stand alone novels - haven't read the others in the series.

A bit different from the normal LitRPG - doesn't focus on the mechanics / leveling aspect...

MC is a coma patient that is hooked up to a new VR MMO via an experimental neural interface - he "wakes" up on the game companies servers (while his body is still in a coma) and is helped by various company employees to get use to the game. He can't remember his life before hand and the only benefits he has is that he can access some of the game interface functions faster then a normal player using VR gear.

Plot does not revolve around him leveling, but actually helping the game company employees when a rogue programmer tries to destroy the game world - the only world he has.
Offline Dirk Flamberge  
#37 Posted : Monday, February 27, 2017 3:33:58 AM(UTC)
Dirk Flamberge

Groups: ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Please Don't Tell My Parents I'm a Supervillain is ok, but the later books are a real letdown.
Offline Mikey  
#38 Posted : Thursday, March 2, 2017 9:49:50 AM(UTC)
Mikey

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Tizzy Go to Quoted Post
Yes, Beast Core as well, OK, so it's not me just completely missing out.

I wonder if there is some game out there that has these cores? Perhaps that is what they are basing it on.

http://www.wuxiaworld.co...nese-cultivation-novels/

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

http://www.wuxiaworld.co...neral-glossary-of-terms/

Quote:

Magical Beasts (魔兽 móshòu) – animals capable of cultivation. Some are innately magical and simply grow stronger over time, while others must actively practice a cultivation method. They tend to be much more intelligent than mundane animals, and some are capable of speaking in human languages. Magical Beasts which have reached a high stage of cultivation may even be able to take on a human form.

These Beasts often possess a Core (魔核 móhé) (妖核 yāohé) within their bodies which contains their essence and/or cultivation base. Cultivators highly prize these Cores and will hunt the Beasts to obtain them. The Cores are generally either consumed by a cultivator to increase their cultivation base or used in the production of magical items.

Some novels give the Beasts slightly varying names such as Demonic Beasts (妖兽 yāoshòu) or Spirit Beasts (灵兽 língshòu), but they’re all essentially the same sort of creature. The names of the Cores vary similarly.

Edited by user Thursday, March 2, 2017 9:52:12 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Dungeon Roomba  
#39 Posted : Thursday, March 2, 2017 4:53:57 PM(UTC)
Dungeon Roomba

Reading Book Three of the Slime Dungeon (The Dungeon's Child). It's pretty funny so far. Doc really is kind of dumb. But his core is in the right place. Right next to his pixie's house!
Gelatinous Cube
(aka Dungeon Roomba)

Offline Tizzy  
#40 Posted : Thursday, March 2, 2017 5:09:17 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Ah, hah! So this core stuff comes from a Chinese tradition!

That makes so much more sense, because it was just odd how it just seemed to show up out of no where in the kindleverse.

Oooh, Kindleverse!! A subset of the multiverse that only exists in the deepest regions of the Amazon!