The Council ForumTizzy Talk

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
6 Pages«<23456>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Dirk Flamberge  
#61 Posted : Saturday, April 29, 2017 1:33:08 AM(UTC)
Dirk Flamberge

Groups: ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I say! No yelling in my Boragearium! you'll upset them!

Edited by user Saturday, April 29, 2017 2:57:57 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline The Author Guy  
#62 Posted : Saturday, April 29, 2017 2:55:45 PM(UTC)
The Author Guy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 109 time(s) in 86 post(s)
Ooh, I like that word: Boragearium!

Unfortunately, I have no idea what it means, but it sounds cool!

Offline Dirk Flamberge  
#63 Posted : Saturday, April 29, 2017 3:01:35 PM(UTC)
Dirk Flamberge

It's pretty mundane actually, Borage is also known as the Common Starflower. However that's not what i have, but the classification name still serves its purpose.

Edited by user Saturday, April 29, 2017 3:02:28 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline The Author Guy  
#64 Posted : Saturday, April 29, 2017 9:16:28 PM(UTC)
The Author Guy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 109 time(s) in 86 post(s)
Ah, cool.
Offline Mikey  
#65 Posted : Saturday, May 20, 2017 6:18:42 PM(UTC)
Mikey

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Attolis Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Zeravar Go to Quoted Post
This is making Book 4 seem much more interesting..... hmmmm, could there possibly be a plot twist where Talarius dies and is brought back as a Demon of Doom?
Anxious
Also, thanks Tizzy for the hints on how to hide spoilers.

That would make his relationship with his demon slaying sword kind of awkward right? It would be great!!!

Well, humans also tend to wield human slaying swords.
Offline Tizzy  
#66 Posted : Saturday, May 20, 2017 10:48:17 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 44 post(s)
Excellent point!

More humans are killed by humans, than by demons!

Offline Zeravar  
#67 Posted : Tuesday, May 30, 2017 12:58:56 AM(UTC)
Zeravar

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Truly, I'm unsure if demons could ever match the numbers of humans killed by humans; just look at what Lenamare did! Most of an Army of Darkness, dead. And all with a big flash of light! And let's not forget the conquests led by Exador in the name of the 5 Siblings.... That's not even all the multiverse or history!
Offline Tizzy  
#68 Posted : Tuesday, May 30, 2017 3:57:25 AM(UTC)
Tizzy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Can I get an ademon? (Sorry, but I find "amen" to be totally specist)

You are so right, Lenamare is a menace to human society!

Not that I object, fewer humans=fewer wizards=happier demons.

Seriously? I eat a couple of babies and I'm a monster? but Lenamare disintegrates a few thousand adults and he's just "standing his ground?"

Why can't I be standing my buffet?

Let's be clear, Lenamare killed lots of productive members of society! Me? I like to eat a baby or two, what are they contributing to society? Poop?

Humans are so judgmental and unfair!

Offline Dirk Flamberge  
#69 Posted : Tuesday, May 30, 2017 11:25:24 PM(UTC)
Dirk Flamberge

Same reason I'd wager that people get upset if you rip up their plants out of the ground before they've fully grown. You're essentially wasting all their effort to cultivate it to maturity, whereas adults have already grown fully, and their death isn't seen as a complete loss, especially if they're deadbeats, like those damn trees with thorns on them (Locust Trees, as terrible as their name suggests, but some people like their flowers. *shrugs*)
Offline Tizzy  
#70 Posted : Wednesday, May 31, 2017 12:25:38 AM(UTC)
Tizzy

Counter-intuitive/non-partyline argument:

I think I came to this conclusion (for mortals) by spending too much time with Orcs (and D'Orcs)

I find the death of older people (not OLD as approaching natural causes, but older/productive) to be a greater loss.

For example the loss of a spouse or parent/bread winner, life cut short in the middle of productivity, leaving their dependents to fend for themselves?

At funerals, humans celebrate the life and achievements of the deceased. What achievements does a baby have?

And in fact, the premature death of any non-adult is principally a mourning of lost potential. I.e. lost dreams of what might have been. Not a loss of current revenue.

However, your wasted effort argument is very good for children between say 3 and 18/21. (or at whatever age they can be put to work (or breeding) in your culture)

Now, if your dream for the child was for it to support you in your old age, or, add to the family business, increase family income, this mourning makes a great deal of sense, because it is truly a wasted effort towards ensuring one's prosperity. Particularly if you and your spouse can no longer replicate.

On the other hand, a small infant? Eaten by a random demon? It's a few months or a year or two, and generally results in less lost productivity than, say, me eating your right arm.

So, yes, a loss of a teenager is bad if you need them for something; although if you are planning on simply releasing them into the wild and expect little or no remuneration from them then?? Ehh...

Offline Dirk Flamberge  
#71 Posted : Wednesday, May 31, 2017 12:43:15 AM(UTC)
Dirk Flamberge

To be honest referencing gardening probably wasn't a good idea, as getting the plants is more expensive and difficult than producing a child by comparison. I've heard people describe younger children IE 3 and up as Infants more often than not, although you did say babies in the original, and lets not forget depending on the species and various other factors child conception can be difficult, time consuming, fraught with danger and has a chance to spit out something with physical or mental deformities, so yes i would say there is a price on healthy new born babies, despite their seeming lack of apparent gain or value.
Offline Tizzy  
#72 Posted : Wednesday, May 31, 2017 2:41:13 AM(UTC)
Tizzy

Well, certainly their parents seem attached to them for some reason.

Still not sure its a completely rational choice. Hmm, maybe I can start a game show, "Your arm or your baby?" then we can compile statistics from that to get a good measurement.

Now, do not get me started on plants!

Vegetarians are absolute monsters!

Think of it this way, carnivores (on non-high tech worlds) have to hunt and catch their prey and most kill their prey first.

Vegetarians, on the other hand, stalk living victims who are stuck in the ground and can't run away or escape! Where is the sport in that?

They then often eat their victims alive, and if not they boil or roast them alive! Think of it this way: You notice how when you cut an onion but do not consume it? It continues growing? These are living things and people eat them alive!

And people call me a monster! Now, I may eat your arm while you bleed out, sometimes I'll cauterize it so you can watch me eat your arm, but typically, I'll stop at that and not eat the entire person alive, too filling, at least with adults. As I've said, I do prefer the smaller Cornish Game Humans that we were previously discussing.

Seriously, in my opinion, anyone who eats, but does not eat via photosynthesis, is a murderer!

Offline Dirk Flamberge  
#73 Posted : Wednesday, May 31, 2017 5:28:31 AM(UTC)
Dirk Flamberge

What about your demon weed? You're presumably preserving it in some way to ensure freshness? and depending on whether you rip out the entire plant or clip bits off could be construed as murder or torture by your plant standards! And don't forget that respecting plants is where we get the elves from. Just between you and I, I've been working on Plant Animal Hybrids in order to amuse myself, and they're just as bad as nonphotosynthesizers when it comes to exploiting nature. I named them 'Florans'.
Offline Tizzy  
#74 Posted : Wednesday, May 31, 2017 3:14:12 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

True, but I've already admitted to being a baby eating demon, so what's a few plants?

I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy of people like the elves. That's my biggest problem with the LosAlfar, their even more sanctimonious than humans.

Humans are, on average, easier to piss off/freak out, and so much more fun, but when you do manage to freak out a Los Alfar, it's very much worth the effort (coming back to the whole effort of raising kids)

I really like the idea of Plant Animal Hybrids, I like meat on my salads. Hmm. You don't by any chance have a cow-potato hybrid do you? Steak and Potatoes?

That would be mighty tasty!
Offline Dirk Flamberge  
#75 Posted : Wednesday, May 31, 2017 7:03:30 PM(UTC)
Dirk Flamberge

I'm afraid not, unfortunately the Starches mutate when combined with bovine DNA and rip free of the carcass. My last try fled through the waste disposal system by transforming into some sort of potato blob creature and squeezing through the pipes, I mean there is most likely Steak matter left in it's cell structure, but I'm afraid you'll have to find it as I'm not fiddling with an experiment further that doesn't bear fruit, metaphorically speaking.
Offline Tizzy  
#76 Posted : Wednesday, May 31, 2017 7:19:34 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Hmm

Oh well how about Octopus Pumpkin?

We could have Pumpkin-Octopie at Thanksgiving! Or Octopumpkinpie?

Of course, you really should talk to the druids and dryads. Dryads are trees, spirits and flesh. Druids also like to turn lumberjacks and despoilers into trees!

Comparing notes with them could be quite fruitful!

Offline Dirk Flamberge  
#77 Posted : Wednesday, May 31, 2017 7:59:38 PM(UTC)
Dirk Flamberge

Funny story, Using pumpkins in any combination results in near instant Gooification, so headless horsemen are out, although it is a faster way to prep pumpkins for pumpkin pie and other pumpkin based desserts.

I'm afraid that any Driads and Druids would likely run screaming if they came here, as our Massive Industrial Lumber complexes would be... a scarily efficient sort of beast to them. It makes sense why Science is frowned upon and laughed about in your realms, most likely nature gods, Elves and other nature lovers wish to keep it that way.
Offline Tizzy  
#78 Posted : Wednesday, May 31, 2017 9:09:24 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

More likely they'd turn all the lumberjacks into trees!

If anyone survives, they can slaughter their former colleagues! Justice will be served!

Offline Dirk Flamberge  
#79 Posted : Wednesday, May 31, 2017 10:47:57 PM(UTC)
Dirk Flamberge

I'd be surprised if they found any. It's mostly run by machines nowadays, and cold hard steel is surprisingly difficult to change into a tree, believe me I've tried. Something about the higher Binding energy between Atoms or something, which is why it's easier to put enchantments on things made of gold or silver. Let's say you wanted to put a mana storage system on an item, say an iron object and a gold one, or even a Granite object for that matter, the granite/gold item will hold more energy, take less mana to enchant, and be easier to fixate the spell to it compared to the iron one, and as an added bonus the spell will last longer before fizzling out or needing to be repaired because of Spell structure based entropy.

Edited by user Wednesday, May 31, 2017 10:51:54 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Tizzy  
#80 Posted : Wednesday, May 31, 2017 11:22:33 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Hmm.

Good point!

However, I assure you, druids, being shepherds of flora and fauna have a lot of friends they can call on, including this evolutionary anomaly:

And being a natural, they work amazingly well on high tech worlds!
ThumpUp