The Council ForumTizzy Talk

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Konicomi  
#1 Posted : Saturday, March 10, 2018 10:16:32 AM(UTC)
Konicomi

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

If mortals in the abyss are immortal does that mean that Tammarine is immortal as long as she stays in the abyss with Tom?
Offline Tizzy  
#2 Posted : Saturday, March 10, 2018 3:20:11 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 44 post(s)
That's an interesting topic, and an uncomfortable discussion I have with Rede in book 4.

Being in the Abyss doesn't make you immortal, it just means you can't die. And this, as I explain is because it is a fixed afterlife (unlike the afterlife sites created in the Outer Planes by the gods) and there is literally no where for a soul to go there. Mana bodies and real bodies regenerate there, except when they are corroded by the "weather" in which case you can end up with sort of a homeostatic balance of perpetual decay-regeneration.

An immortal is somone who has figured out how (and the acquired the power) to stay alive anywhere they go in the multiverse (within certain limits)
Offline Konicomi  
#3 Posted : Saturday, March 10, 2018 5:24:32 PM(UTC)
Konicomi

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Ok not true immortality but would she ever die of old age like other Djinn since she will be in the abyss with tom 99% of the time? If she will still age in the Abyss why? And if she won't why did Orcus have more then one Djinn in the past?
Offline Tizzy  
#4 Posted : Saturday, March 10, 2018 7:58:00 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Well, most djinnternships are for a limited time. One presumes they want to get on with the rest of their lives at some point. Djinn tend to be information collectors, so once they feel they have all the good info they can get, they often move on to new research projects.

So for example, a djinni serving a human would normally serve the human's life, or a good part of it, before moving on. It's a learning experience for the young djinn, and very explicitly a chance to "experience the material world" and it's pleasures and sensations.

Finally, djinn aren't actually material beings so the determination of their lifespan isn't a function of physical age. For example, djinnnistan is on a demiplane, it's not a material plane as we think of it. Which is on reason young djinn do djinnternships. And when they go, they leave their memories behind for later generations.
thanks 1 user thanked Tizzy for this useful post.
Konicomi on 3/14/2018(UTC)
Offline Mikey  
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 22, 2018 10:34:31 PM(UTC)
Mikey

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Konicomi Go to Quoted Post
Ok not true immortality

Kevin Smith's Smodcast discussed "Limmortality" years ago: https://soundcloud.com/s...modcast-131-limmortality
Offline The Author Guy  
#6 Posted : Friday, March 23, 2018 3:31:46 AM(UTC)
The Author Guy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 109 time(s) in 86 post(s)
I'd forgotten about that! Definitely.

I also like the word a lot as well.

I think I'd be OK with L'immortality. The real thing would get old, particularly after the universe is over and you are all that's left.

Below is not spoiler, but rather crazy philosophy:

Offline Dirk Flamberge  
#7 Posted : Saturday, March 24, 2018 7:29:03 PM(UTC)
Dirk Flamberge

Groups: ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
That's some heavy stuff, Doc.
Offline Tizzy  
#8 Posted : Saturday, March 24, 2018 10:13:05 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

I think T-A-G may have raided my cookie stash one too many times.