The Council ForumTizzy Talk

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline The Author Guy  
#1 Posted : Friday, August 6, 2021 11:54:01 PM(UTC)
The Author Guy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 109 time(s) in 86 post(s)
So I've been saying for some time that OOA:ITN and COA:ITW are "shorter" books than the main books. Someone asked me what does this mean?

So, best way to measure that is Word Count, which is a bit imprecise because different words have different lengths and page sizes vary. So we just compare on total words (things between spaces)

Book 1: Into The Abyss was just under 241,000 words. About 574 small font Trade Paperback pages.
Book 2: The Heavenly Host was just under 275,000 words About 679 small font Trade Paperback pages.
Book 3: Apostles of Doom was just under under 285,000 words. About 679 even smaller font pages

Now I don't know how long OOA:ITN will be once the Beta Demons finish ravaging it, but writing now it's about 140,000 words, or about half the size off books 2 and 3.

So how does this compare to other books you may or may not be familiar with?

A Game of Thrones is 298,000 words, so books 1 to 3 are a bit shorter than GoT (book 1)

The Return of the King is 137,000 words, or around the same size at OOA:ITN

The Fellowship of the Ring is 187,790 words

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix is 257,045, the rest are less than 200,000, with Philosopher's Stone being about 77,000 words.

Dune is, amazingly, only 187,240 which boggles my mind, I'd have thought it much longer.

The Golden Compass is 112,815 words.

So, yes OOA:ITN is "shorter" but it's not exactly a novella.

And as an FYI to those not on KU, the kindle price will be half that of the other books, so $2.99. The paperback, unfortunately won't be half the price, but will be the lowest price of them all. Unless I make the fonts big enough for people over 40 to read it.

The Audible? I have no idea, but should be less. I don't have any control on that.

Edited by user Friday, August 6, 2021 11:57:36 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Dungeon Roomba  
#2 Posted : Saturday, August 7, 2021 1:18:29 AM(UTC)
Dungeon Roomba

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Meh, I'll just do what I always do for authors I like. Read it once under KU, return it, then buy it. LOL

Will you offer signed dead tree copies for sale?
Gelatinous Cube
(aka Dungeon Roomba)

"Because there's always a 10x10-foot room for Jell-O"
Offline The Author Guy  
#3 Posted : Saturday, August 7, 2021 2:35:06 PM(UTC)
The Author Guy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 109 time(s) in 86 post(s)
The signed dead tree version is something I generally do by special request just because the sale and distribution is tricky.

There is no easy way to do it through Amazon, other than becoming an independent merchant and like presigning and sending them to a warehouse. And then, in addition to the book's hard cost, the shipping cost to me and then to warehouse, Amazon takes a cut and my profit comes to like $1.00; which is less than I make on an unsigned copy. And not sure there is the demand for that.

What I've done in the past is order a pile of "author's copies"/"proofs" when I print (although historically I can do that at any time). So if someone wants one, we figure out away to get me money for the book and shipping and I just sign to them personally and mail.

The get me money thing is the trick because I don't really have an author store, so it's like paypal or something.

Then comes the sales tax issue. Which I don't have a way to deal with as 'me' without some contortions. So, I basically do 'cost' so the paypal is a reimbursement.

I really should see what other independent authors do for conventions and such.

On the other hand, if I do go Patreon at some point, that's a perfect case because Patreon is basically "go fund me" with gifts. I don't think the tax collectors have figured that one out yet.

Hmm. That might be a really good idea.

Anyway, for now, if someone does want a signed copy, they have to go through my Interdimensional Distributor: Tizzy.

They just email Tizzy and make arrangements. Although, I've heard his handling fee can be rather steep, you know, immortal soul and such. I think he takes people's souls on death and puts them to work as gardeners or something. At least that's the rumor.

Offline Dungeon Roomba  
#4 Posted : Sunday, August 8, 2021 12:01:56 AM(UTC)
Dungeon Roomba

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Between Venmo, Cashapp, Paypal, and a other services, I'm sure getting money to you is the LEAST of the issues. Still, I understand. Guess I can wait until the book actually come out, or something.

As for Tizzy's price...umm, I would actually have to have a soul before he can take it. I don't think monsters like Gelatinous Cubes have souls. Not that we need one. Not even sure what the things are for?
Gelatinous Cube
(aka Dungeon Roomba)

"Because there's always a 10x10-foot room for Jell-O"
Offline Tizzy  
#5 Posted : Sunday, August 8, 2021 3:54:17 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 44 post(s)
Ack Ack!

Did you just use "The M Word?"

You of all beings should know the use of such a pejorative term only reinforces the millennia long hateful stereotyping and the villainization of historically marginalized races by humans and elves!

We must all stand together to take back that word and the associated emotional damage done to so many of us by such hostile language.

I mean, is it any wonder that we take such pleasure in eating such spiteful people?

Offline Lunarmage  
#6 Posted : Sunday, August 8, 2021 5:13:00 PM(UTC)
Lunarmage

Groups: ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Well, I am a Ginger so I don't have a soul of my own to sell off. I do however have the souls of several exes that I would gladly barter with.
Offline Tizzy  
#7 Posted : Sunday, August 8, 2021 8:44:34 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Interesting, does gingerfication consume one's soul in the process or something?

I assume becoming a Ginger is much like getting D'Orced, or a Demonized?

Offline Tizzy  
#8 Posted : Sunday, August 8, 2021 8:46:08 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Also what about Communists? I've heard they are godless? Is this because they don't have souls and thus can't generate mana through worship, so no gods want to deal with them?

Offline Lunarmage  
#9 Posted : Sunday, August 8, 2021 10:43:51 PM(UTC)
Lunarmage

Groups: ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Being a Ginger is something you are Born With. Either you have it or you don't. In this case, no Soul. Saves on things like a conscience and a need to be bothered with morals; make them up as you go. Society hates you because you are either beautiful and no one can match you (think Jolene by Dolly), or you are surrounded by superstitious morons who claim you are the spawn of the devil (I just want to know which one, they owe me child support).
Offline Tizzy  
#10 Posted : Monday, August 9, 2021 5:10:12 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Hmm, that explains a lot about my experiences in England a few centuries back.

People seemed to use the words 'ginger' and 'demon' interchangeably.

Very confusing, and I should also mentioned, I've never actually tasted any 'ginger' in any of the gingers I've sampled. Never eaten a whole one, just fingers and toes mostly.

You guys don't taste anything like the little cookies.

Which is probably a good thing for you all because I really like those cookies, and sometimes I make my own special versions of them.