The Council ForumTizzy Talk

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
15 Pages123>»
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Grant  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 18, 2014 3:07:23 PM(UTC)
Grant

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

How far through book 2 are you and when will we know a approximate release date so we can volunteer our time for beta reading.
P.S I am happy to pay to be a beta reader Drool
Offline The Author Guy  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, November 19, 2014 1:28:59 AM(UTC)
The Author Guy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 109 time(s) in 86 post(s)
It's coming...slowly, but faster than it was this summer.

I am hoping for Spring, of course we have to get through Winter, and I really could stand to have a Westeros style winter this year...

:)

Beta request noted, and we'll post an actual sign up list here with priority (if needed) for people who have spoken up here.

Offline Threefinger  
#3 Posted : Thursday, November 20, 2014 12:38:22 AM(UTC)
Threefinger

Groups: Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

I was actually looking around for a thread where we could request to be beta readers, is it just not a thing yet? Also I am very much interested in being a beta reader lol.

Edited by user Wednesday, May 13, 2015 7:55:02 PM(UTC)  | Reason: selling soul

Offline JMX  
#4 Posted : Thursday, November 20, 2014 12:45:43 AM(UTC)
JMX

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Neat, I am impatiently waiting on t he next book.
Offline The Author Guy  
#5 Posted : Thursday, November 20, 2014 4:28:40 AM(UTC)
The Author Guy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

There is not a thread per se, it's just in some threads people have expressed interest. I'll scan the thread and put people on the list when it's created and will have it officially posted so people can add their name.
Offline JMX  
#6 Posted : Friday, November 21, 2014 11:04:33 PM(UTC)
JMX

I may have used google translator to translate the last two books of a 3 part series from Russian to English because only the first book was published in the US.

I hate waiting.. Lol
Offline Mesmerizing Suggestion  
#7 Posted : Saturday, November 22, 2014 4:15:02 PM(UTC)
Mesmerizing Suggestion

Originally Posted by: JMX Go to Quoted Post
I may have used google translator to translate the last two books of a 3 part series from Russian to English because only the first book was published in the US.

I hate waiting.. Lol

Someone else who has read alexey glushanovsky's books?
Those were great. The ending was a bit confusing though.
Offline The Author Guy  
#8 Posted : Saturday, November 22, 2014 4:41:09 PM(UTC)
The Author Guy

Quote:

OK, now that's hardcore.

I use GT a lot for short phrases and a few news articles where context isn't so critical....but a novel? Not so sure.

Actually it's interesting that there are plenty of "Editing Services" out there for independent authors but there aren't or I have really found a lot of translation services. My guess is that while an author can easily tell if the editor improved the editing/content of their book, they probably have no idea if it was well translated.

Offline JMX  
#9 Posted : Saturday, November 22, 2014 5:40:43 PM(UTC)
JMX

Originally Posted by: Mesmerizing Suggestion Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: JMX Go to Quoted Post

I hate waiting.. Lol

Someone else who has read alexey glushanovsky's books?
Those were great. The ending was a bit confusing though.

Yeah it was Alexey's books.

The ending was confusing but I probably missed a bit of the finer points because of google translate.

I was really annoyed when I found out the series had been completed 10 or so years ago but they only translated the first book.
Offline JMX  
#10 Posted : Saturday, November 22, 2014 5:53:05 PM(UTC)
JMX

Originally Posted by: The Author Guy Go to Quoted Post
Quote:

OK, now that's hardcore.

I use GT a lot for short phrases and a few news articles where context isn't so critical....but a novel? Not so sure.

Actually it's interesting that there are plenty of "Editing Services" out there for independent authors but there aren't or I have really found a lot of translation services. My guess is that while an author can easily tell if the editor improved the editing/content of their book, they probably have no idea if it was well translated.

Yes I was able to get the main story by using google translate but I agree it was missing a lot of context. It was also interesting reading a book from a Russian Author. If they ever translate the last two books professionally I would buy them.

I enjoyed those books even if it was a hard read. On the flip side I have bought Ebooks off amazon that I had to stop reading because they are so badly written/story just being so poor. I can ignore a ton of spelling and grammar errors as long as it doesn't interfere with the story telling.

In regards to translating I guess the author would either have to be bilingual or at least know someone they trusted. A translator really could mess up the story if the author couldn't even proof read it.

However I am just a reader so I just want things done so I can read it haha.

As far as into the abyss I think it is the only book I have ever read more then once. In fact I have thought about reading it a third time but that might be unhealthy. I should at least wait until right before the release of book two.

Edited by user Saturday, November 22, 2014 6:03:14 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Stupid iPad

Offline Tizzy  
#11 Posted : Sunday, November 23, 2014 12:05:51 AM(UTC)
Tizzy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 44 post(s)
What's unhealthy about demonic cultural conditioning?

If you read it enough, you'll start seeing how reasonable demons are, and how unreasonable humans are and pretty soon your thoughts will be on a higher plane of reasoning and you'll be able to see truths not apparent to mortals.

Offline Rosver  
#12 Posted : Sunday, November 23, 2014 7:24:45 AM(UTC)
Rosver

Groups: Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I been reading and rereading books since I begun to read. I still remember reading and rereading my small collection of fairy tale stories when I was little, with the tale of Cinderella being my favorite. And there is also my first encyclopecia set that I have read countless times. I even had noticed some spelling errors in it.

And I symphatize with the experience of reading those badly written books. My worst experience come from the Romance genre. Spelling errors I could deal with; horrible love story, @$%D(!*. Those Romance novels are the strongest cringe generating, vomit inducing writing I ever behold. And it seems that the authors are actually doing all they can to produce such ^%$F%^&* constantly!

Not that other genre doesn't have their share of horrid stories. But often they are just sleep inducing and at most, their a bunch WTF!!!!
Offline socal24  
#13 Posted : Sunday, November 23, 2014 11:38:56 AM(UTC)
socal24

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Is the Sequel gonna have more of those crazy Oorstemoth guys they cracked me up and I would love to be a beta reader for you if you need any for any books you have but especially the sequel for Into the Abyss.
Offline Tizzy  
#14 Posted : Sunday, November 23, 2014 6:56:15 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

I'm afraid the Oorstemothian's aren't going away...

They're not only back, but escalating their craziness to heights that any rational person would consider insane.

T-A-G will comb through the forums and add beta list volunteers first from here.

Perhaps the romance writers have so many typos because they are writing in the throws of their own personal passion.
Offline Rosver  
#15 Posted : Monday, November 24, 2014 6:08:06 AM(UTC)
Rosver

Groups: Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Hmmm. Being a beta reader seems interesting. Hope I'm picked!

Those Oostemoth are hillariously crazy. And they being serious in their craziness just multiply it hundred of times. Well, I now know that serious and insane could go together.

Those romance writers are just in to it for the O.

Edited by user Monday, November 24, 2014 6:11:31 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline nobahde  
#16 Posted : Monday, November 24, 2014 4:32:39 PM(UTC)
nobahde

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

I would love to be a beta reader Drool I only check back on this forum like once a month though.
Offline The Author Guy  
#17 Posted : Monday, November 24, 2014 8:55:59 PM(UTC)
The Author Guy

Not a problem, I will send out an emailing to people at their email address on file.
Offline Mesmerizing Suggestion  
#18 Posted : Monday, November 24, 2014 9:53:04 PM(UTC)
Mesmerizing Suggestion

Can I be added to the email list?

Edit: for the new bet reader list specifically.

Edited by user Monday, November 24, 2014 9:54:36 PM(UTC)  | Reason: forgot a line.

Offline Tizzy  
#19 Posted : Monday, November 24, 2014 10:22:01 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Yes, you are listed in the forums.

The list hasn't been built yet, T-A-G will construct the first list off of people's messages in these forums. Once created, they will get an email to confirm they are still interested and then depending on the number, will open it up for new/more people.
Offline Rosver  
#20 Posted : Tuesday, November 25, 2014 12:49:32 AM(UTC)
Rosver

This is gaining momentum. I wonder how many will sign up?