The Council ForumTizzy Talk

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
9 Pages<1234>»
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline EyeDeKay  
#21 Posted : Friday, January 20, 2017 5:12:18 AM(UTC)
EyeDeKay

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: GameGraphix Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: The Author Guy Go to Quoted Post
However, I did read Dungeon Born (The Divine Dungeon #1) which is a seriously weird take on LitRPG.

That is one of the books I've read lately - enjoyed it, but that was largely due to the fact that I created a D&D adventure based on this idea about 15 years ago - and ran my players through it.....

I think that best ones I've read so far are.....

Mirror Word series by Alexey Osadchuk (Book 1 Project Daily Grid)
Ascend Online by Luke Chmilenko
The Chaos Seeds Series by Aleron Kong (Book 1 The Land: Founding: A LitRPG Saga)
The Realm of Arkon Series by G. Akella (Book 1 Patch 17)

I think Ascend Online is the best one that I've read so far in this genre, followed closely by the Realm of Arkon series

What about awaken online? Been awhile sense i read it but i remember great writing. If i recall correctly he was also a technical writer.
Offline GameGraphix  
#22 Posted : Friday, January 20, 2017 5:28:48 AM(UTC)
GameGraphix

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 23 post(s)
Originally Posted by: EyeDeKay Go to Quoted Post

What about awaken online? Been awhile sense i read it but i remember great writing. If i recall correctly he was also a technical writer.

I did start that book, read about a 10 pages and put it down for some reason - never went back to it.....

Will give it one more shot....

Offline EyeDeKay  
#23 Posted : Friday, January 20, 2017 5:08:20 PM(UTC)
EyeDeKay

The intro is the worst part of the book.
Offline Tizzy  
#24 Posted : Friday, January 20, 2017 5:37:26 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 44 post(s)
Well, they do seem to repeat that theme a lot, particularly in movies. In fact, I think Disney calls that quest "The Avengers" and then every Star Trek movie these days...they should also stop talking about Independence Day and just say "Independence Days" as those aliens will just keep coming back.

Although at some point Jack Bauer is going to need to sleep.
Offline scweeb  
#25 Posted : Saturday, January 21, 2017 8:50:40 PM(UTC)
scweeb

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Registered, Unverified Users

Originally Posted by: The Author Guy Go to Quoted Post
However, I did read Dungeon Born (The Divine Dungeon #1) which is a seriously weird take on LitRPG.

That is one of the books I've read lately - enjoyed it, but that was largely due to the fact that I created a D&D adventure based on this idea about 15 years ago - and ran my players through it.....

I think that best ones I've read so far are.....

Mirror Word series by Alexey Osadchuk (Book 1 Project Daily Grid)
Ascend Online by Luke Chmilenko
The Chaos Seeds Series by Aleron Kong (Book 1 The Land: Founding: A LitRPG Saga)
The Realm of Arkon Series by G. Akella (Book 1 Patch 17)

I think Ascend Online is the best one that I've read so far in this genre, followed closely by the Realm of Arkon series

Another good kind of litRPG is the Daniel Black series. Book one has some more adult theme parts so if you can't read that or get offended by it then i would skip the series. But i think over all on of my all time favorites.
Offline Tizzy  
#26 Posted : Saturday, January 21, 2017 10:31:18 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

That's a tricky one to search for since there is an author named Daniel Black who does not appear to write litRPG!

Brick wall
Offline GameGraphix  
#27 Posted : Saturday, January 21, 2017 11:10:05 PM(UTC)
GameGraphix

Originally Posted by: scweeb Go to Quoted Post
Another good kind of litRPG is the Daniel Black series. Book one has some more adult theme parts so if you can't read that or get offended by it then i would skip the series. But i think over all on of my all time favorites.

I wouldn't classify the Black Coven series as litRPG - more fantasy based - similar to the Portals of Infinity series by John Van Stry - where a person from our world gets sucked into an alternative world / universe by a god (or some other 3rd party) to save that world......would also include works like Delvers LLC, and the Destiny's Crucible series by Olan Thorensen in this...

There is no concept of character leveling or quests in these works, which is what sets the litRPG genre apart from the standard fantasy stories

Finished the Awakened Online book - was ok, but I wouldn't put it in my Top 5 books / series in the litPRG genre
Offline Dirk Flamberge  
#28 Posted : Sunday, January 22, 2017 12:04:02 AM(UTC)
Dirk Flamberge

Groups: ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Daniel black Series by E William Brown, Portals of Infinity john van stry, Destiny's Crucible olan thorenson, all great Series. John released a few other books not in Portals of infinity, and they're usually good.

Have been trying to read the 1632 series by Eric Flint, but it really drags on at times and the order the author released the books is really confusing.

The Morcyth Saga by Brian S Pratt is ok, but pratt is nowhere to be found for like a year or 2 now, after a couple of his family members died, bit disappointing to be honest that the series is more or less on permanent hiatus.

I do agree, the Land is pretty good.

You May enjoy Good Intentions by Elliot Kay, you may not, but i like it.

http://www.weavespinner.net/worlds_of_fel.htm and http://homepages.ihug.co...llg/stories/stories.html
if you're interested in free reading, most of their stuff i've read and enjoyed it.

Ilona Andrews' Inkeeper Series is really good, as well as Morgan Blayde's Demon Lord series.

Offline GameGraphix  
#29 Posted : Sunday, January 22, 2017 12:34:09 AM(UTC)
GameGraphix

Maybe if we ask TAG very nicely - he could create a new category in the Forum for General (non-Astlan) related discussions - we could start a thread to list recommended books / series to read while waiting for the next installment of Astlan.

I'm a book-a-holic, read about a book a day....and finding it hard to find good books to read...

Started out reading High Fantasy about 30 years ago, have progressed through Military Sic-Fi & Urban Fantasy..

Only stumbled upon the LitRPG over the last couple of months when looking through Author discussions on Amazon for new books to read that where recommended by other readers.
Offline EyeDeKay  
#30 Posted : Sunday, January 22, 2017 5:49:25 AM(UTC)
EyeDeKay

There was a post the other day by Tizzy about a crossover with DOA and Worms. Stated reading Worms but it's long. It's about a girl with super powers in a Dc/Marvel type world but much more "real" if that makes sense. Would recommend if you haven't read and like that type of thing. https://parahumans.wordp...s.com/table-of-contents/

Finished the Awakened Online book - was ok, but I wouldn't put it in my Top 5 books / series in the litPRG genre

Really?What's your top 5 litrpgs then?

Edited by user Sunday, January 22, 2017 5:53:22 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline GameGraphix  
#31 Posted : Sunday, January 22, 2017 6:28:59 AM(UTC)
GameGraphix

Really?What's your top 5 litrpgs then?

1. Ascend Online by Luke Chmilenko
2. Realm of Arkon series by G. Akella
3. Chaos Seeds series by Aleron Kong
4. Mirror World series by Alexey Osadchuk
5. Number 5 is a toss up between "LitRPG: Play to Live" series by D. Rus or "The Selfless Hero Trilogy" by William D. Arand

As I mentioned, I've only just stumbled onto LitRPG in the last 6 - 8 weeks - so this is my Top 5 list so far....although I have read a lot of it in that time....some I just haven't been able to get into due to the poor translations from Russian.....others the start of the book turned me off and I didn't get any further into the book
Offline Tizzy  
#32 Posted : Sunday, January 22, 2017 3:47:04 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

It's my forum! Tell T-A-G to keep out of it!

I'll make the new category!
Offline Dirk Flamberge  
#33 Posted : Sunday, January 22, 2017 8:35:38 PM(UTC)
Dirk Flamberge

Groups: ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Lol tizzy, so territorial :P
Offline Zeravar  
#34 Posted : Thursday, February 9, 2017 11:55:48 PM(UTC)
Zeravar

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Back to the topic of love interests, did anyone else notice something between "Sir Samwell" and Sir Lady Serah?
Offline Tizzy  
#35 Posted : Friday, February 10, 2017 1:06:39 AM(UTC)
Tizzy

Wink
Offline Dungeon Roomba  
#36 Posted : Sunday, February 12, 2017 2:02:12 AM(UTC)
Dungeon Roomba

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Originally Posted by: Zeravar Go to Quoted Post
Back to the topic of love interests, did anyone else notice something between "Sir Samwell" and Sir Lady Serah?

Ooooh, yeeeeah! That one will be interesting. I also noticed Tamarin and Vaselle getting a little chummy. It was kind of cute, actually.

As each book goes on, though, I feel more and more sorry for Tom. I'm not even talking romance, here, just a chance to get his pineapple pitted. Or is that apple peeled? What is that thing humans say? Some fruity thing. Think
Gelatinous Cube
(aka Dungeon Roomba)

"Because there's always a 10x10-foot room for Jell-O"
Offline LCSpartan051  
#37 Posted : Monday, February 13, 2017 12:07:08 AM(UTC)
LCSpartan051

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Yeah, in the first book there was a definite Tom+Jenn Vibe. Then that went completely out the window in book 2 where the Jenn+Gastrope ship was launched. I was kinda looking for a Tom+Tamarin thing in book 3, but that fell flat when Tamarin+Vaselle started up. I guess at this point the only thing I can still look forward to is Tom+whoever rupert's mother actually is. Or maybe Tom+Bess?
Offline Tisslils  
#38 Posted : Monday, February 13, 2017 12:17:43 AM(UTC)
Tisslils

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

I vote Bess or Lilith!
Imagine the arguments and the crazy make-up sex that'll follow!
Offline Tizzy  
#39 Posted : Monday, February 13, 2017 1:09:42 AM(UTC)
Tizzy

Yeah, well, not sure Lilith is a good idea, remember, Antefalken, "Tom's Bro" was dating her. And you know the Bro Code.

One of these days, Tom is going to have to sit Rupert down and tell the story of "How I met your mother."

Now of course, being a djinn, Tamarin's plan (as it is with most young djinn) is to experience all material sensations, and do so with her master. However, he has been, to date, otherwise occupied.

On the other hand, Vaselle is Tom's Warlock (familiar and Tom can possess him). I'm thinking maybe T-A-G can do a "Demons After Dark" or maybe "50 Shades of Red" and get really kinky in the spin off series.

Of course, I still want to see the spinoff where we get over the distraction of "Unlife" and get to the real "EVIL" ---SparklyLife! I want to see the Force of Doom engaged in all out Unholy War to eradicate all the SparklyLife, you know--sparkly vampires, fluffy werewolves and such. Cursing

Angry They are an abomination before me! Blushing Ooops...getting a bit carried away...
Offline Tisslils  
#40 Posted : Monday, February 13, 2017 9:09:56 AM(UTC)
Tisslils

Originally Posted by: Tizzy Go to Quoted Post
Yeah, well, not sure Lilith is a good idea, remember, Antefalken, "Tom's Bro" was dating her. And you know the Bro Code.

One of these days, Tom is going to have to sit Rupert down and tell the story of "How I met your mother."

Now of course, being a djinn, Tamarin's plan (as it is with most young djinn) is to experience all material sensations, and do so with her master. However, he has been, to date, otherwise occupied.

On the other hand, Vaselle is Tom's Warlock (familiar and Tom can possess him). I'm thinking maybe T-A-G can do a "Demons After Dark" or maybe "50 Shades of Red" and get really kinky in the spin off series.

Of course, I still want to see the spinoff where we get over the distraction of "Unlife" and get to the real "EVIL" ---SparklyLife! I want to see the Force of Doom engaged in all out Unholy War to eradicate all the SparklyLife, you know--sparkly vampires, fluffy werewolves and such. Cursing

Angry They are an abomination before me! Blushing Ooops...getting a bit carried away...

Since when did Brooding Dark Lords have bro codes?
I'm sure Antefalken won't mind since being on her "Exterminate List" is rather a bit dangerous for a Bard. And Tom can always ask nicely.

What Tom needs is a challenge. The harder your partner's trying to kill you, the better the sex!

Edited by user Monday, February 13, 2017 9:40:14 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified