The Council ForumTizzy Talk

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
8 Pages<1234>»
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Rosver  
#21 Posted : Friday, September 19, 2014 2:29:08 AM(UTC)
Rosver

Groups: Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I haven't followed Piers so I can't say. Don't even know the last book he has writen.
Offline The Author Guy  
#22 Posted : Friday, September 19, 2014 2:37:37 AM(UTC)
The Author Guy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 109 time(s) in 86 post(s)
I think I stopped around the fifth book in the series that started with On A Pale Horse I know I got to the Devil...think I bought but didn't read the god one...

Holy Crap! I just went to Amazon to check out dates for that....

On October 21, 2014 Xanth #39 will be released.

AGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brick wall

I know I joke about 99 book commits or book #36...but please...if I write that many DoA books, everyone come and do an Intervention!

Offline Rosver  
#23 Posted : Monday, September 22, 2014 6:13:51 PM(UTC)
Rosver

Groups: Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Oh my G! The number of books for such a mediocre book series is just ridiculous. Couldn't he just make a new series? Or much better, a stand alone book.

Well, I would intervene if the series somewhat degraded. But if not, well, I would ask you to continue.

Edited by user Monday, September 22, 2014 6:17:31 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline The Author Guy  
#24 Posted : Tuesday, September 23, 2014 1:34:02 AM(UTC)
The Author Guy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Well, he used to write a LOT of series.

I'm scared to go and check out the other series for fear they are also all in the 20's and 30's.

<Shudder>

I actually bet that a lot of those books are cowritten by others (or more likely ghost written and they get cowriting credit) and he just takes a big chunk of the cash.
Offline Rosver  
#25 Posted : Thursday, September 25, 2014 7:15:10 AM(UTC)
Rosver

That is a possibility. I can't remember a very big difference in writing styles in the series though. Or maybe there are but was not observant enough at those times?

I'm not against very long series as long, as each part is good, but most serries that run very long do tend to deteriorate in quality.
Offline The Author Guy  
#26 Posted : Friday, September 26, 2014 2:29:26 AM(UTC)
The Author Guy

I think he does it after about the 6th or 7th book.

Actually MZB had some cowriters, especially in anthologies and those generally worked pretty good. Darkover is a complex enough world with a long history to write in that there are a lot of stories, and none are super long. So that's one place where it works. Of course, those are about lots of different people in different times. Only a few of the stories were actual multipart books.

I think world books can go on for a very long time and still be original. Thieves World is a particularly good example, and there's a lot of authors writing there.

But a single set of characters...not sure that can legitimately go longer than 6000 or so pages...other than A Song of Ice and Fire, of course. There are always exceptions.

Anyway, I love long series if there is a story being told, but if it looks like the author is just cashing in, then i cash out.

Offline Jonnyboi  
#27 Posted : Friday, September 26, 2014 6:48:36 PM(UTC)
Jonnyboi

Groups: Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Originally Posted by: Tizzy Go to Quoted Post
You do know that books were invented in the Abyss by demons to torture mortals.

We use a process called Fiction Addiction to torture people.

We get you hooked on a book, then make you wait and wait and wait for a sequel.

When you eventually get the sequel, you get it, you start reading it avidly to fix your addiction, and then a few days later (or less) you are done with it and desperately wanting the next book in the series...and so the torture begins again.

We were really successful with this torture strategy for books, and then Movies and TV Shows.

Unfortunately, things like Netflix that allow one to binge watch are putting a real hit out on us. Fortunately, once you are done binge-ing a series/season, we do get to torture you waiting for the next series/season.

Obviously GRRM has taken this torture to new heights. Perhaps he is the Concordenax?

I havent' been on in like a month and now i find that i dodged a bullet. Your evil crazed fiction addiction had limited success on my otherwise sane mind that is totally sane by my standards...maybe not yours but yeah.
It's hard to be good so why try?
Offline Tizzy  
#28 Posted : Friday, September 26, 2014 9:31:08 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 44 post(s)
What other definition of sanity can there be, but me?

I assure you that I am the gold standard of sanity in the Abyss!

Dancing
Offline Rosver  
#29 Posted : Tuesday, September 30, 2014 7:17:54 AM(UTC)
Rosver

@The Author Guy:

I haven't really read much anthologies becuase I always end up feeling that I wasted money on it as I will not always like all of its contents. I always end up liking only 2 or 3 of the stories an just skip everything else. It feels to me like the authors is trying to make us pay for the stories we won't like.

And for those worlds where many authors write... don't really like them either. Maybe I just keep ending choosing those horrible ones but previous experiences do influence selection, and now I tend to avoid them. I seen the Thieves World but it is obvious what this kind of work is and I have never bought and read one. Maybe I give it a try next time.

As for stories... Have you read books that doesn't seem to be telling a story at all? Those are the worst.

@Tizzy:

On being sane in insane places... I feel sorry for you.
Offline Tizzy  
#30 Posted : Tuesday, September 30, 2014 2:05:32 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Yes, I am trapped by crazy and unreasonable people all around me.

Brick wall
Offline Rosver  
#31 Posted : Tuesday, September 30, 2014 2:58:05 PM(UTC)
Rosver

Well, at least you now have Tom and Rupert and me. You are not alone anymore.
Offline Tizzy  
#32 Posted : Wednesday, October 1, 2014 12:33:06 AM(UTC)
Tizzy

Angel

Fuzzy Wuzzies!

Offline Rosver  
#33 Posted : Wednesday, October 1, 2014 2:32:48 AM(UTC)
Rosver

Eeep!! Don't call it that! To think demons would use a word like that. It makes me shiver.
Offline Tizzy  
#34 Posted : Wednesday, October 1, 2014 5:55:45 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Yeah, well you squashed my fuzzie wuzzies when you started talking about using demon hide for couch covers!

Offline Rosver  
#35 Posted : Friday, October 3, 2014 4:35:24 AM(UTC)
Rosver

Well, just imagine the possibilities! Demon hide is just amazing.

And why are you skittish about this? I read much worse from your brethen! And you call yourself a demon. Exador would not blink at this. Would have even thought it a great idea.

Edited by user Friday, October 3, 2014 4:39:47 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Tizzy  
#36 Posted : Friday, October 3, 2014 8:31:06 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

It's one thing to skin a human. Or eat one. They're an inferior species so a tanned human hide coat for example is no worse than one from a cow.

But demons? Those are people! It would be completely immoral!

Although truth be told, I've heard that more than a few of the demon princes eat their enemies for breakfast, and I'm pretty sure they mean that literally.
Offline Rosver  
#37 Posted : Saturday, October 4, 2014 12:44:13 AM(UTC)
Rosver

Well, I guess its ok for demons to torture, maim and (permanently) kill other demons but not to skin them. I can't really see the logic. Maybe skining demons isn't demonic enough?

And looks who is talking about immorality. That is rich!
Offline Tizzy  
#38 Posted : Saturday, October 4, 2014 4:13:17 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Of course it is rich!

You do have to admit there is a high correlation between immorality and wealth?

Compare the lifestyles of billionaire playboys with oil companies to that of nuns? Which are moral, which are rich?

Evil pays!

Of course the eternal retirement plan is pretty unpleasant for evil playboys, so enjoy they should enjoy it while they can!

Offline Rosver  
#39 Posted : Monday, October 6, 2014 1:10:31 PM(UTC)
Rosver

You are cherry picking. Of course there are examples of immoral people who aren't wealthy and good people who are wealthy. Your question is quite loaded too you devil.
Offline Tizzy  
#40 Posted : Tuesday, October 7, 2014 12:49:57 AM(UTC)
Tizzy

I love loaded questions, they tend to go off in people's faces!