The Council ForumTizzy Talk

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
12 Pages«<9101112>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Dungeon Roomba  
#201 Posted : Thursday, August 3, 2023 1:27:39 AM(UTC)
Dungeon Roomba

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Tizzy Go to Quoted Post

I would think an intelligent dungeon would need to have a lot of mana pools, plus crystals with monsters in it? Or how do they 'spawn' new monsters from scratch?

Oops--apologies for the pejorative term--monster--dungeon defender I think is the correct term.

I believe dungeon spawning is a little different depending on the world, but from what I've been told by some dungeon monsters (they prefer the term "monster", or sometimes APCs-Adventurer Pest Control) most dungeon cores use an series of mana reactors, mana jars, and anima converters to power the summoning, conjuration, banishment, and various dimensional arrays. I'm not a rune master or know much about multi-dimensional manipulation theory, but depending on the dungeon monsters are spawned/conjured, summoned using existing contracts with interdimensional beings, reproduced using biological reproduction, or even souls of previous delvers re-purposed for dungeon purposes. Lot of different ways to do the same thing.

I will say most dungeon monsters are either dumb as garble-gurbles, or snooty intellectuals who think dungeons are end-all, be-all.

Gelatinous Cube
(aka Dungeon Roomba)

"Because there's always a 10x10-foot room for Jell-O"
Offline Tizzy  
#202 Posted : Saturday, August 12, 2023 3:40:08 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 44 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Dungeon Roomba Go to Quoted Post

I will say most dungeon monsters are either dumb as garble-gurbles, or snooty intellectuals who think dungeons are end-all, be-all.

Hmm, about what you would expect to be provided from typical Monster-Staffing Services, and to be fair, I am betting the more expensive Monster-Consulting Firms aren't a whole lot better, they just cost a lot more. Particularly for the Partner level Monsters, who are, almost by definition, MV's (Money Vampires).

I personally think one would be better of to staff your dungeons with local direct employee monsters. If need be, do Temp to Hire monsters, conditional on adventurer body count performance. Also, treasure collection from the adventurers needs to be considered.

Offline Dungeon Roomba  
#203 Posted : Monday, August 14, 2023 2:05:56 AM(UTC)
Dungeon Roomba

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Hmm, about what you would expect to be provided from typical Monster-Staffing Services, and to be fair, I am betting the more expensive Monster-Consulting Firms aren't a whole lot better, they just cost a lot more. Particularly for the Partner level Monsters, who are, almost by definition, MV's (Money Vampires).

I personally think one would be better of to staff your dungeons with local direct employee monsters. If need be, do Temp to Hire monsters, conditional on adventurer body count performance. Also, treasure collection from the adventurers needs to be considered.

To be honest Core security are dungeons biggest concern, and most Dungeon Cores are glorified rocks...and therefore dumb as a rock would be. There's a fine line between killing adventurers for mana/soul collection, and being such a danger that an Avatar is sent to crack you in half. Since rocks are stationary targets, it's difficult to make it so secure you don't have to worry about that. Most <furble-murp> Cores show off and get whacked. But if they get old and smart enough, they start outsourcing a lot of staffing and treasure collecting.

<jiggle> I even heard of a D'Core that transitioned to an Adventurer Training Facility and Interdimensional Transportation Hub. Talk about raking in the Power! It basically outsourced its security to the adventurers, gets a free pass when it kills any during training, and pulls in power and money just for maintaining gates. And it's almost completely passive income! I tried get on its payroll once, but it had a contract with a Denubian to provide slimes, gelatins, and puddings...and dungeon monsters.

Gelatinous Cube
(aka Dungeon Roomba)

Offline Tizzy  
#204 Posted : Tuesday, August 15, 2023 11:22:00 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Very good idea! A great one in fact! I have to applaud it's ingenuity!

You also bring up a good point that a dungeon should review all monster vendors to ensure they don't supply you with a horgar, I did run into one once, but I've forgotten which realm I was in when I did, but they are nasty rock burrowing creatures that are the bane of many a dwarf.

If I were a dungeon crystal, I'd definitely want to filter those out

Tizzy
Offline MommaGx3  
#205 Posted : Sunday, September 3, 2023 1:17:02 PM(UTC)
MommaGx3

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

And I think a D'Core might have an outlandish new board .... error post... with an anxiously awaited countdown to important events... say like a release of a d'eta version of new reports... cough book 4.... cough and sticky the updated countdown so monthly visitors can just quickly review the information from our lord and master..... no smirk included
Mother of 3 little demon monkeys.... well, not so little anymore. *sniff* *sniff*
Offline Tizzy  
#206 Posted : Friday, September 8, 2023 9:45:55 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Yeah, trust me, at T-A-G's pace that would be a very slow counter board.

Quote:

Day 1432: Wrote a word
Day 1451: Wrote another word
Day 1460: Deleted a word

Dancing
Offline Dirk Flamberge  
#207 Posted : Sunday, September 17, 2023 3:58:59 PM(UTC)
Dirk Flamberge

Groups: ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hey folks, checking in again, how's book 4 coming?
Offline Tizzy  
#208 Posted : Sunday, September 17, 2023 8:18:23 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Well, the good news is, I am standing behind him as he types....so he is actually working on the book at this very moment.

That is, at least, something....
Offline Guruushika  
#209 Posted : Monday, September 18, 2023 6:53:15 AM(UTC)
Guruushika

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
So the ten monkeys on typewriters are out on a smoke break? I guess that is good news. We don't need a new version of Saiyuki or 'Planet of the Apes' after all. Good luck TAG. Oh, and Tizzy, remember to lower a privacy screen between the two of you, otherwise the fumes will get to TAG again...
Offline Tizzy  
#210 Posted : Tuesday, September 19, 2023 7:13:05 AM(UTC)
Tizzy

I think the meditational and inspirational incense I provide sparks creativity....although with T-A-G it main produces massive potato chip consumption and then snores....
Offline overrclocked  
#211 Posted : Friday, October 20, 2023 1:23:50 PM(UTC)
overrclocked

Any chance Tom is going to meet Zeus in book 4? I'm imagining a Hugh Hefner type guy judging from the stories that are told of Zeus. Or is that more elven propaganda?
Offline Tizzy  
#212 Posted : Friday, October 20, 2023 11:52:05 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Hmm, well that sort of depends on where exactly Book 4 ends, probably not, however, Book 5? Definitely, absolutely and a lot more.

Offline Dungeon Roomba  
#213 Posted : Sunday, October 22, 2023 2:19:29 AM(UTC)
Dungeon Roomba

Hmm, well that sort of depends on where exactly Book 4 ends, probably not, however, Book 5? Definitely, absolutely and a lot more.

Oh. Oh, you beautiful tease, you.

Gelatinous Cube
(aka Dungeon Roomba)

Offline Tizzy  
#214 Posted : Monday, October 23, 2023 9:18:27 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

I try!

Dancing
Offline overrclocked  
#215 Posted : Tuesday, October 24, 2023 12:11:40 AM(UTC)
overrclocked

How about a chapter 1 excerpt to make it up to us?
Offline The Author Guy  
#216 Posted : Wednesday, October 25, 2023 11:48:23 PM(UTC)
The Author Guy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 109 time(s) in 86 post(s)
I have very seriously thought about it, many, many times.

I am just conflicted on several points of what to excerpt. There are actually a couple big events/reveals in Chapter 1, and even avoiding that, there are other parts/scenes that just beg for more, so it's hard to know what to excerpt....

The first chapter takes place very shortly after the end of AOD when the Undead Army zap out to the Abyss and there is a lot of rapid scene switching because a lot is going on.

So, I suspect I may very well do this, but I want to get a better handle on how much longer it's going to take before I tease people with it.
Offline Korwin  
#217 Posted : Monday, November 13, 2023 3:42:08 PM(UTC)
Korwin

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Just checking in and looking how its gooing.
Hopefully we will see something soon(ish)
Offline Bradyman  
#218 Posted : Thursday, November 30, 2023 2:58:10 AM(UTC)
Bradyman

Almost done listening to the books for the 50th time and just showed off my signed copy of into the Night, and thought I'd see how things are going. I accidentally typed the website url wrong and started freaking out for a second when I thought the site was gone. Tizzy, do what you need to do to make sure T-A-G doesn't die on us before we get at least 20 more books
Offline Tizzy  
#219 Posted : Tuesday, December 5, 2023 12:45:05 AM(UTC)
Tizzy

Oh, I won't let that stop him. In fact getting sent to The Abyss may be just the incentive he needs to finish.

I'll give him one 8 oz glass of 98.1 F. water for each book he completes!

Dancing

Tizzy
Offline Lodrik  
#220 Posted : Friday, January 5, 2024 12:16:01 AM(UTC)
Lodrik

Hey there,
I simply wanted to let you guys know that others too check in from time to time and I am really happy to read that progress is being made! I hope you all had a wonderful Yule and a happy new Year!